Sipadan and Mabul Island Diving Report (Parts 1,2,3,4)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nipi:
In part 3 JohnnieB remarks that "at all dive sites gloves are allowed". I was in Sipadan recently and was horrified to see divers from other resorts hanging on the the reef during their safety stop. There was minimal current. They're mainly Japanese wearing pink or other neon gloves. We asked our guides at Borneo Divers & they said they'd told the divemasters about it but to no avail. Why do the Japs do that? Samson at Borneo Divers told me he thought it was a good thing the island was being closed to overnighters as it might save it from such operators - trouble is they're either from Mabul or the mainland. I understand one diver who died in the chamber was a Jap with 350 feet on his computer - when asked why he was allowed to dive so deep the guides from the other resort said they didn't want to jeopardise their tips by not allowing him to go so deep. Maybe it's the same thing with the gloves.

I think gloves should be allowed in diving. I won't dive places that don't allow them. For safety from stings from the multitude of marine life that sting and also the extra-grip they provide when exiting the water. often, in emergencies, you have to hold onto some coral or a moring line and it's much easier (and safer to do) with gloves. of course, you must be care not to damage delicate marine life by carelessly grabbing everything (anything) in sight just because you can because you have gloves on. this type of behavior has to be controlled by the DM's.

When i was at Sipadan at the end of septemeber 2004 i met this bunch of Koreans... arrogant and noisy people, think that they own the whole island. anyway i saw 2 people from their group PLUCKING staghorn corals while cruising through the dive site. another incident was one of them pulled the feather star out and passing it to his other group members!!! all done with their gloves on.... man i was damn pissed off.... i told the DM and the same answer was given.... sighhh

nipi:
In part 3 JohnnieB remarks that "at all dive sites gloves are allowed". I was in Sipadan recently and was horrified to see divers from other resorts hanging on the the reef during their safety stop. There was minimal current. They're mainly Japanese wearing pink or other neon gloves. We asked our guides at Borneo Divers & they said they'd told the divemasters about it but to no avail. Why do the Japs do that?
I staid on Sipadan some 7 years ago, when the island was still open for tourists.
There were a fair number of Japanese divers and yes, they were the ones hanging on to or even laying on corals, wearing gloves etc. We even protested with the divemasters and they made some weak general comments but that didn't really help.
I don't have any explanantion for htis behaviour either.
Any Japanese divers out here who can help us out?

i lived in Japan for three years and found that when diving there everything is very reigmented controlled and ultra safe. We werent allowed to dive some sites because we were told it was not safe due to waves. I looked across at the site and saw like 0.5m wave doh hardly risky. On one occasion a girl we were diving with made a quick ascent from 18m. she was imeadiately sent to the beach and put on O2. Very cautious and safe. HOWEVER it seems once they leave japan its like they have been let out of panadoras box and put aside all safety. Numerous time s i have seen J divers behaving irresponsibly. We had one girl who had rescue cert and only 14 dives. it was an exposed dive site 60m to the sand with the wreck starting at 22m, we saw her camera in hand slowly sinking whuile taking photos. If she hadnt been grabbed by a DM she would have been taking photos till she hit the sand.

The issue about dive habit and environmental awareness is very important. However I agree that not permitting gloves are not the right solution either as they are worn primarily for protection and not so that divers can damage the reef or harass animal.
If we don't allow gloves, then what's next, ban fins so people won't kick the reef accidentally?
Primary responsibility is with the dive operators, I think saying that Japanese or Korean or other nationals are bad are not very helpful. Every countries have their fair share of good vs bad divers, I think.
When I was with Smart Diver last year, the first few dives we were not allow to use gloves but when we showed the DM that we were not touching anything then he relaxed a bit and let us wear gloves which made me feel a bit more comfortable.

I lived and dived in korea for several years and I have to say that korean divers are not very respectful of the diving environment. It's just not a part of the diving education there.

Hmmm, we seem to have an opposite problem here in Thailand (no not that everyone is a good and environmentally conscious diver). A friend just came back from the Similans and now there seemed to be a number of self appointed scuba police DM diving around telling people off if they touch anything while letting the 8-10 other inexperienced divers that they were supposed to be looking after floundering around.
Hmm, may be I will get into trouble with this one!

I'm just back from Sipadan. Not a good time to go with everyone rushing to get on the island before they close it for good. Too many bad divers with poor etiquette/buoyancy. Poor souls were literally struggling, paddling with hands and finning for 20-30mins before running out of air while banging and tangling with everyone. They were truly a danger to themselves and others, this coming from somebody with 19 dives.

BTW hanging on to corals is not uniquely Japanese. In my group, scandinavians and british divers were doing the same, picking up everything in sight.

On a brighter note, school of jacks, sharks, barracudas, bumphead parrot fishes and 100% turtle sightings made for a good trip even if visibility is so so for this time of the year. :p

Back
Top Bottom