Six year old Snorkler killed by 13yo boater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Conchs have had this discussion for the past few years. What to do with the boaters and the flags. Clearly we don't have the mu$cle to change any legislation, but we can educate. Putting an informational type sign at every boat ramp informing boaters what a divers down flag is will educate boaters, and in turn save lives.

Actually, we do have the muscle, we just don't use it. When was the last time anyone wrote a letter to their state senator or representitive? I have been part of some pretty small but vocal groups, and it does make a difference. If we remain silent, then we get what we ask for - nothing.

What we need are numbers to fight with: how many divers in FL, how many dive tourists come to FL, how many $ to the FL economy, how many tax $ from diving to the state coffers, etc. Anyone in the dive industry out there with the big picture?

Secondly, we need a plan. If everyone askes for the same thing, we are far more likely to get it than if everyone askes for something different. What do we want, increased inforcement, increased penalties, mandatory boater education, boater licensing?

Don't get me wrong, I like the sign idea. But maybe it can be a large, state mandated, state purchased sign required at every boat ramp!

I agree more boater education is a must; however this is most likely a tragic accident for all involved, both sides. I was in Key Largo diving all weekend. It was a holiday mad house down there. Jet skis, skiffs, runabouts everywhere. Most of them driving like bats out of hell. Jumping wakes, running between each other, this was “normal” for that weekend. Our room was right on the water and watching the madness reminded me of the opening scenes of JAWS when a hundreds of boats were launched to kill the animal. When you mix a thousand boats and alcohol and just plain horsing around, all the boater education, law enforcement and letters to your senator will not do a damn thing. Again, these efforts are very important, they just son't stop accidents. Accidents will happen, this kid in the boat will pay for the rest of his life and so will both sets of parents. I was 14 when I first boated solo, my folks made sure I had every boating course available, plus I had been boating with my family since I could walk. All that said, Holiday weekends were off limits. This past weekend, I watched families anchor 100 yds off the resort beach, and get in the water and swim and float around on noodles and drink bear. Kids were in the water as well, lots of jets skis with young kids and adults flying in between. There is responsibility on both sets of parents, putting a dive flag up does not relieve you of your responsibility. I would never have put my kid in the water to snorkel that day. And sending your kid out in the boat solo on one of the busy weekends of the year is not much smarter. Condolences to all involved.

I think Jenny's idea is great! I also think it would change little, but if it makes any difference, it's still worthwhile.

Education is key. Unfortunately it's not enough.

Enforcement is what can really change things. Unfortunately enforcement is generally not well funded. The Park I volunteered for last summer was one of the busiest and most profitable in CO (Chatfield Res). Unfortunately while we watched as thousands of cars and boaters paid their entrance fees, the Rangers were low on fuel and budget, and that was impacting their ability to do what they planned.

So PAYING for enforcement is a big factor, and few are interested in doing so. IMO, legalize drugs, tax them, and take those billions of dollars and spend them on things that work! :D

I have a six year old of my own who wants to snorkle himself. This touches home and hate to see this happen to any parent.
Im a police officer in a coastal city in Alabama. In Alabama any state resident has to pass a test to obtain his boater license (which by the way is not an easy test). And my department has its own marine division who enforces the boating laws in our juristiction. This has help lower boating accidents in our area greatly. Maybe Florida should look into doing the same.

The state also makes a tax profit on the tests , so its a win win situation and it funds itself.

RonFrank:
I think Jenny's idea is great! I also think it would change little, but if it makes any difference, it's still worthwhile.

Education is key. Unfortunately it's not enough.

Enforcement is what can really change things. Unfortunately enforcement is generally not well funded. The Park I volunteered for last summer was one of the busiest and most profitable in CO (Chatfield Res). Unfortunately while we watched as thousands of cars and boaters paid their entrance fees, the Rangers were low on fuel and budget, and that was impacting their ability to do what they planned.

So PAYING for enforcement is a big factor, and few are interested in doing so. IMO, legalize drugs, tax them, and take those billions of dollars and spend them on things that work! :D

I don't know I like Jenny's/the Conchs idea. Got me thinking. At every boat ramp or marina is a sign about the manatees. Whenever I was having my boat put in the water from high and dry my "crew" was often just standing around. While they were standing around though they were reading that sign, therefore being educated at the same time. Shoot, I myself have read the sign at least 20 times just because it is there and I am just there twiddling my thumbs waiting on the boat. Same would hold true for ramps.

I too wish there were more enforcement - just to buy a boat and plunk it in the water is so dangerous. I don't know how many times boaters cut me off as they had no idea of the "rules of the road". My safety course was something like $35 and worth every penny. Not only did I learn at least the basics, I met some new friends. Meaning, it was a miserably boring class - they kept it upbeat.

Missdirected:
At every boat ramp or marina is a sign about the manatees.

You mean the "manatee filet area" sign? lol

Seriously though I'd definitely be up for a sign like that. Give a good review of boating laws and right of way.

Scuba_Jenny:
The Conchs have had this discussion for the past few years. What to do with the boaters and the flags. Clearly we don't have the mu$cle to change any legislation, but we can educate. Putting an informational type sign at every boat ramp informing boaters what a divers down flag is will educate boaters, and in turn save lives.

Jenny just a thought here and may not be how ya'll do it in FL but could some of the Conchs get together and attend a City or County Commissioner meeting to voice your concerns? I know it helps here when citizens get together and attend these meetings to voice problems in the City or County. It does make a difference. Our office is involved in matters like this a lot.

You'd be surprised what is going on here in Charlotte regarding this National Whitewater Center being built here. The citizens near the center are upset because the city is using their road and part private land for a public easement. So some citizens are showing up at these meetings and it is working. Some just planted their behinds in chairs on the road and that worked too. :D Right now all construction for this center has been stopped because people don't want these big trucks driving down their road creating hazardous conditions.

Sorry for the ramble but just a thought.

Missdirected:
I don't know I like Jenny's/the Conchs idea. Got me thinking. At every boat ramp or marina is a sign about the manatees. Whenever I was having my boat put in the water from high and dry my "crew" was often just standing around. While they were standing around though they were reading that sign, therefore being educated at the same time. Shoot, I myself have read the sign at least 20 times just because it is there and I am just there twiddling my thumbs waiting on the boat. Same would hold true for ramps.

The reason I indicated that I think it will not make a big impact is becasue so many people who DO know the rules and have taken safety classes are not mature enough to make the decision to follow the rules. We see this driving all the time, a lot of people are just selfish jerks. However one would hope my pessimistic attitude is wrong! :D

However IMO the sign would be a great idea, and for those who are responsible and just don't know what a dive flag means (not sure if any boater who does not is someone who I'd consider resposible in the first place) it may help. Certainly having the rules posted would act as a good reminder.

If anyone has any connections with anyone at your local newspapers you could contact them to see if they would run a story regarding this. Especially after this tragic accident.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom