Skills For Carrying And Using A Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes -- i can put one on
Well, that's where I would clip off the valve. Then I would clip off the butt to the D ring on the very bottom. It will be a little 'low', but unless you're trying to crawl through something low, you should be OK. FWIW, I find it easier to clip off the bottom first in this situation. I hope this helps.
I don't see any usable d-ring on the waist either,
You know, with the floatiness of most of the AL tank butts, I think the forwardness of the D-rings would word well to keep the tank butt from floating too high.

You know, with the floatiness of most of the AL tank butts, I think the forwardness of the D-rings would word well to keep the tank butt from floating too high.

Kinda why I started using a Steel 23. I found a Prism shop that would sell me one for a decent cost, with a provalve.

it does -- thank you -- im not crawling through much of anything - so i should be fine.

appreciate the help

This is not magic. If you dive with me - I dive with a single regulator sometimes with my pony sometimes if it is shallow enough no pony. If you come to me OOG - you best know the drill.
:)

I know this was a few pages back but I just read this and had honestly no idea that buddy breathing was no longer part of what options are taught in OOA situations. I wasn't certified anywhere near the 70s when did this happen? ...it's handy to know. If I ever have a new diver come up and expect something other than my octo or buddy breathing now I will know why.

Ubaneve I would like to see that D-Ring addition to the Zena my wife/buddy dives one too. She wants a D-ring added
also.

Urbaneve. I am not familar with the Zena so I took a look on line. I don't think you will be happy with a slung pony with that BCD for a couple of reasons. First is the weight of the tank/regs themselves. My understanding is that the Zena is not a robust BCD and I would be concerned of the impact the weight might have on the seams and fabric. Second, I see no place for a true hip d ring. Hooking into the front of the BCD may ride ok underwater but it may prove a bit irritating on land. If there are any tabs, my Islander had these, you can use a quick link to hook in instead of a d ring. A final option is to sew on a tab for a quick link. I did this with my Islander to add a bungee loop to sling a pony pseudo sidemount style. Last if you do sling, consider a 13 cf and at most a 19 cf tank at most.

But all this considered, you might prefer a tank mounted pony.

Ubaneve I would like to see that D-Ring addition to the Zena my wife/buddy dives one too. She wants a D-ring added
also.
i just got this BCD -- so once i add it - i will post pics

Urbaneve. I am not familar with the Zena so I took a look on line. I don't think you will be happy with a slung pony with that BCD for a couple of reasons. First is the weight of the tank/regs themselves. My understanding is that the Zena is not a robust BCD and I would be concerned of the impact the weight might have on the seams and fabric. Second, I see no place for a true hip d ring. Hooking into the front of the BCD may ride ok underwater but it may prove a bit irritating on land. If there are any tabs, my Islander had these, you can use a quick link to hook in instead of a d ring. A final option is to sew on a tab for a quick link. I did this with my Islander to add a bungee loop to sling a pony pseudo sidemount style. Last if you do sling, consider a 13 cf and at most a 19 cf tank at most.

But all this considered, you might prefer a tank mounted pony.
i would like to see a pic if you happen to have one -- i was considering a tank mounted one.

that's why i was asking, im not sure which way to go with this BCD. i have never used a back inflate before and i just got this one about 2 weeks ago and since a majority of my dives are solo, it about time i carry a pony...so I am keeping my mind open for suggestions.

Sorry. I went bpw and no longer have that bcd and I have never done tank mount but there is a thread or two I will try and find for you.

@uncfnp thats okay no problem. if you happen to find them, thats great. i am heading to my dive shop over the weekend and i am going to talk to them about it also, see what they have to say

My son will be attending an OW class in a few weeks. He has done discovery scuba twice in the caribbean. He knows how to perform all the tasks of the class already as I taught him and one thing we always do is practice buddy breathing same reg (off my long hose) at the bottom of our pool after every dive session. One day , when we become buddy divers it may come in handy. Not ideal, we will plan so that it hopefully never happens with very ample gas planning on each dive (we will both have ponies as well as I do now) but I think an important skill that every diver should know how to do. We dont have gills and any skill that adds to the repertoire of things that could make the difference in an emergency are worthwhile. Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom