Skin Bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What can I do to help you understand? SB is a great place to learn, it works better if you listen more then you talk especially if you are talking about something you say you do not understand. In a discussion about safety you are the only one talking about money. That would suggest that buying a computer is more important for the money you make then the safety of the diver buying it. Does that clear it up for you?

Never said I did not understand how tables and computors do work. What I do not understand is why you do prefer tables to computors. As I said earlier, in a lot of places in the world, you would NOT BE ALLOWED to dive without a personnal dive computor.:no: Does that ring a bell for you :eyebrow: What I do not understand either is where you got the idea that I was making money, selling dive computor.:depressed:

This debate over the safety of dive computers vs tables is silly so of course I have to chime in!

First, let me say that with my "dive events" no dive or medical professional has ever suggested that it would be safer for me to dive tables rather then a dive computer.

We all know that dive safety is much more then depth and bottom time. Just addressing the issue of DCS there are other factors such as ascent rates that are built into DC's that for obvious reason can not be factored into tables. Then there are the other safety features, PPO2 monitoring and alarms are two that come to mind. Yes, you can track PPO2 without a DC but in my opinion, it is vastly easier with a computer.

Beyond that, just comparing dive profiles, computer to table is pointless if not based on the same algorithms. I can take the OP's same dive profiles, plug them into a "conservative" computer with the SF set to max and I can almost guarantee that it will show him bent. Using this analogy, then no one should use "liberal" DC's. In fact, without doing the math but if anyone is interested, I'll bet that my dive computer with the SF set high will show you in deco before tables. And we all see the threads complaining about these same computers limiting a divers bottom time.

Tunaman68. FWIW, I agree. For now dive nitrox with SF set to max. And be mindful of those ascents.

Last edited:
I agree with everyting you say, maybe with one caviat. When you say that you can run his profiles on a more conservative algorithm and show him bent, this is "technically" not entirely true. You can effectively show that his statistical chances to get bend would be higher. :). Just a question of semantics :)

I agree with everyting you say, maybe with one caviat. When you say that you can run his profiles on a more conservative algorithm and show him bent, this is "technically" not entirely true. You can effectively show that his statistical chances to get bend would be higher. :). Just a question of semantics :)
Agreed. I admit I was guilty of going for the drama.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom