Sleaze in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be heading down to Cozumel for the first time, probably planning on going the time between April and May, or if things work out maybe June 32nd. Are there any good places for meals in town or should I stick to the AIs buffet?

.....June 32nd ?

I used two operators in Cozumel.

One was Aldora. Was treated OK in most respects, very good in another.

The other dive operator was someone else. I paid them a lot of money for a course they claimed they were certified to teach, took the course, and then once I got home, was told they were not certified to teach it after all, and was offered a refund, which I accepted - but they refund never materialized. After months of hounding them, I finally gave up. Guy seemed like a real nice guy - seemed really sorry about the situation, but in the end, the money never appeared - which esp sucks given I bought an overpriced SMB from them when I could have just got it on-line - but since I had already inquired (in a serious fashion), I felt morally obligated to buy it from them.

Now - you can decide for yourselves who the sleaze is.

You need to get out more as I have seen countless DM's out with clients/perspective "Sugar Americans" many many times and overheard dinner conversations detailing such more than I can count over the years.

Fact: It happens.

So what though? Dave readily admits that very thing created Aldora, so who cares?

Why does everyone get their panties in a wad if someone so much as ACTS like they may speak ill of THEIR dive shop.....

Serious LOL.

My like button caught on fire and broke after liking this post 82 times

I'll be heading down to Cozumel for the first time, probably planning on going the time between April and May, or if things work out maybe June 32nd. Are there any good places for meals in town or should I stick to the AIs buffet?

I avoided the AIs and searched for good food in town. I was not dissapointed at all. So glad I did it.

The other dive operator was someone else. I paid them a lot of money for a course they claimed they were certified to teach, took the course, and then once I got home, was told they were not certified to teach it after all, and was offered a refund, which I accepted - but they refund never materialized. After months of hounding them, I finally gave up. Guy seemed like a real nice guy - seemed really sorry about the situation, but in the end, the money never appeared - which esp sucks given I bought an overpriced SMB from them when I could have just got it on-line - but since I had already inquired (in a serious fashion), I felt morally obligated to buy it from them.

Not enough info. That does suck. We really want to trust our Instructors, and after completing a course - we want our Cert! A full refund would not have been enough, but you didn't even get that - and with cash discount negotiations, can't seek help from credit card. Bummer.

Why does everyone get their panties in a wad if someone so much as ACTS like they may speak ill of THEIR dive shop.....
That's an easy one. Many people form relationships with the folks at their favorite dive op beyond that of a typical customer with a vendor; when others speak ill of your friends, do you not feel the impetus to defend them? Beyond that, when one has made a choice of an op, when someone else criticizes that op, some folks take it as a criticism of themselves and their judgement, since in their view that op is "the best".

An offshoot of that attitude is the need some folks have for running down an op which isn't their favorite, because it makes other ops look inferior to "theirs" and thereby makes them look smarter (to themselves, anyway) for choosing another op.

I agree, it's tiresome; it's the ugly downside of cheerleading.

It's Friday....!!

fb4f0520191e012f2fc600163e41dd5b.gif

that does suck, I would be posting the name of the operator and feel good about helping others avoid the same problem. There are usually at least two sides to a story, but the fact that you paid for certification, and did not get the certification or a refund leaves me to believe that the other side of the story wouldn't change my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom