sleepy, scuba makes me very sleepy, zzz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see a bunch of good ideals here and somethings to think about but I doubt if any of it applies here.

Divemistress you have too much time under water to think you are getting a dcs hit every time you dive.

I don't know you but as an instructor I bet your ascent rate is very controlled and steady and you make pleanty of safety stop time.

I will even bet you have a low SCR and don't use a full tank of air on most of your dives. Therefore haven't packed so much nitrogen into your body that it causes problems.

I tend to believe that You like alot of others have in fact relaxed to the point your body is ready to rest. Not that you need to recover from the dive.... just from life.

Since the "mamilian reflex" lowers our heart rate and resporation rate while we are under water and the diving world is so different than our real life we tend to forget everything else and relax. When we are relaxed it is easier to fall asleep. You may have programmed your body to look for this combination and it takes the opportunity to catch up so to speak.

Try this after teaching in the pool do some task that is mildly active, like a slow walk around the block. If the feeling goes away you have you answer.

the nap after a dive series is not a medical issue for me. It is a mental one. If it refreshes you go for it! Diving is fun so make the most of it.

Hallmac

...that I was getting occasional subclinical DCS... but it seemed much worse when I was doing dives off of NC. I finally realized it had something to do with waking up at 5:30 am to catch the boat, skipping my morning coffee, and taking a bumpy 3 hour ride out to the dive site.

Hallmac once bubbled...
I see a bunch of good ideals here and somethings to think about but I doubt if any of it applies here.
It all applies here.
Divemistress you have too much time under water to think you are getting a dcs hit every time you dive.
This stmt is entirely withou merit. The more time a person spends underwater, the more likely he/she will get dcs.
I will even bet you have a low SCR and don't use a full tank of air on most of your dives. Therefore haven't packed so much nitrogen into your body that it causes problems.
Give me a break! I don't know where you people come up with this kind of crap. RMV or SAC rate has nothing to do with the amt of nitrogen a diver absorbs. Nitrogen loading is a factor of depth and time.

DocVikingo once bubbled...
Calling it a "hypoglycemic coma" is inaccurate as this is a medical term referring to loss of consciousness secondary to significantly low blood glucose level.
Hypoglycemic fatigue would be a better term. BTW, this can occur at levels less than "severe hypoglycemia." Best regards.
DocVikingo
Ok! You're the doc. But isn't sleep, loss of consciousness?

To repeat, hypoglycemic coma is a medical term referring to loss of consciousness secondary to significantly low blood glucose.

Yes, sleep does involve a loss of consciousness. So do severe head trauma, overdosing on certain drugs, marked drops in blood pressure, and myriad other conditions. However, neither sleep nor these others are the result of blood glucose levels.

Also, folks easily can be roused from sleep. Getting someone out of a coma is an entirely different matter.

Enough said?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

RE: "the nap after a dive series is not a medical issue for me. It is a mental one. If it refreshes you go for it!"

Actually, a nap immediately following a dive series may well be a DCS/medical issue. You may wish to search the board archives wherein Dr. Deco repeatedly cautions against such, and instead recommends a brief period of mild activity.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

It appears I may be miss understood in my post. If I'm reading the posts right

"Actually, a nap immediately following a dive series may well be a DCS/medical issue. You may wish to search the board archives wherein Dr. Deco repeatedly cautions against such, and instead recommends a brief period of mild activity."

I don't dispute that one bit. I too recommend a brief period of mild activity after a dive read my post. As your post and all the others have clearly stated it "may" be a medical problem it may not. Most appear to be delivering good information on what medical conditions can cause it.

I just intended to give yet another explaination of a possible cause.

Hallmac

The Pirate once bubbled...

It all applies here.

This stmt is entirely withou merit. The more time a person spends underwater, the more likely he/she will get dcs.

Give me a break! I don't know where you people come up with this kind of crap. RMV or SAC rate has nothing to do with the amt of nitrogen a diver absorbs. Nitrogen loading is a factor of depth and time.

As to the second statement
True to a point but as you clearly state not guaranteed eithor way just a higher risk

And to the third:
Really now where does the increased nitrogen come from then. And depth and time work backwards as well. Thats why we teach slow assents and stops right?

I want to try to clearify my posts on this. I did not try to say it was not a medical problem or that it was. I gave another example of what it could be. simple as that. You guys usually give lots of reasons it could be but often forget to add the " but it could be as simple as" comment afterwards.

hallmac

Maybe this will clearify what I was addressing.

No doubt about it, a little exercise is relaxing and sometimes the best follow-up is one of those really sweet naps that refreshes the soul as much as the body. Once the nap crosses the line from "wouldn't it be nice" to "I can't stay awake" I would hope that every diver carefully consider the cause. If nothing else, try a slower ascent and maybe a little EAN mix and see if there is any change.

I was speaking about the "would it be nice because I have the time and not the second I can't stay awake aspect. Well put Steven.

I've never had the later so it did not cross my mind when I read the first post.

Hallmac

Irishdiver, I get sleepy too diving on air. IME I never get sleepy on higher O2. Go with an EAN of at least 34 just watch your MOD. It's definitely not geezer gas.

In Southern California it is so standard now for many boats to carry it, that you can just sign a waiver with no training and use enriched air. However, before I leave off having sounded like I approve that course. Getting nitrox certified is a great idea for all divers. And if it has the added benefit to you that you are less tired diving EAN then continue to dive it for the rest of your life :)

Also if you are taking a boat that puts out early find out if the boat will let you board the night before, then you can get a good night's sleep without having to wake at 4 in the morning to get there. Cannot stress enough eat well (potassium too). Drink lots of water. But you can't underestimate the contribution of a good night sleep.

I disagree with "bent doesn't always mean a visit to the hospital". If you are bent you should always seek medical attention. I do agree that residual nitrogen has a significant effect on one's being extra tired after diving.

Back
Top Bottom