Sling a Pony - Giant Stride??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fda483

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have been diving with a 19cf pony for a while. Just like the confidence of a completely redundant air supply for bail out. Have tried a few back mounting options and find most of them a pain to get on and off as you switch tanks between dives. So going to give slinging a try. Have seen some good videos on how to rig the tank and clip it to the BC. My basic question is can you leave it clipped on when you giant stride off the boat? It seems like it would be okay as long as you put a hand on it was you jump in.

Plan on setting this up and giving it a try in the pool first.

Thanks
Joe

Have been diving with a 19cf pony for a while. Just like the confidence of a completely redundant air supply for bail out. Have tried a few back mounting options and find most of them a pain to get on and off as you switch tanks between dives. So going to give slinging a try. Have seen some good videos on how to rig the tank and clip it to the BC. My basic question is can you leave it clipped on when you giant stride off the boat? It seems like it would be okay as long as you put a hand on it was you jump in.

Plan on setting this up and giving it a try in the pool first.

Thanks
Joe

It works fine.

Just make sure you have your arm over it so it doesn't smack you in the face when you hit the water (it doesn't actually move much but you never know), and make sure your D-rings aren't plastic. :cool:

flots.

It works fine.

Just make sure you have your arm over it so it doesn't smack you in the face when you hit the water (it doesn't actually move much but you never know), and make sure your D-rings aren't plastic. :cool:

flots.

Yeah, good news redundant air - bad news diver suffers broken jaw due to projectile tank. LOL

Thanks - that was what I was thinking.

Joe

Do it all the time... no worries.

Now if I could just figure out why the boat captain / instructor gets so freaked out when I strap on an 80 instead of a 40. It's really not much different.

Do it all the time... no worries.

Now if I could just figure out why the boat captain / instructor gets so freaked out when I strap on an 80 instead of a 40. It's really not much different.

Probably because 80s are commonly used as stage or deep decompression cylinders. Plus 40cf should be enough for any ndl river to bailout on.

Daru

Probably because 80s are commonly used as stage or deep decompression cylinders. Plus 40cf should be enough for any ndl river to bailout on.

Daru

He knows I can plan a dive and dive a plan. Heck, he certified me for solo...

Sometimes I like to just bring 2 80's instead of 2 80's and 1 40. I'll split the gas between the dives leaving plenty for reserve in each tank. It's no different then the sidemount divers on the boat... :)

It's just funny how some people react when they see you do things a little different then they expect you to.

It works fine.

flots.

'Zactly...piece of cake.

I giant stride with double 100's and three 40's for the big stuff. It is open water 101 really. 1 hand on mask, elbows tight, quick check of landing zone, eyes on the horizon and stride.
Eric

My basic question is can you leave it clipped on when you giant stride off the boat? It seems like it would be okay as long as you put a hand on it was you jump in.
Put a hand on it, or bring your elbow / arm in close to the body to hold the valve down. Either way, a giant stride with a slung bottle, 40 or 80, isn't a problem.

On a more interesting note, you SB name - fda483 - is intriguing. I presume (given your NJ location) that you are industry, not agency. But, dare I imagine that you have been hit with one?

Put a hand on it, or bring your elbow / arm in close to the body to hold the valve down. Either way, a giant stride with a slung bottle, 40 or 80, isn't a problem.

On a more interesting note, you SB name - fda483 - is intriguing. I presume (given your NJ location) that you are industry, not agency. But, dare I imagine that you have been hit with one?

Spent over 30 years avoiding 483's, but have had my share over the years. I head up Quality for a mid size generic company.

For those on SB who dont know about 483's it is the list of "observations" given to a drug/medical device firm at the end of an FDA inspection. Our tax money at work!!

What about you Colliam7??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom