Sling/band dimensions for old speargun, please ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello.
Need to buy/make (missing) bands for a Voit 4G44 speargun and would like to know correct diameter and length of 3 slings, and wishbone wire diameter.
From memory, the original bands were about 1/2" o.d., 1/8" i.d.

Is there any recommended DIY tutorial that you know of ?

I can't help you with that particular gun, as I'm not familiar with it. Rule of thumb is around 300% stretch. I've seen some go as high as 400% stretch, but somewhere between there would be good. I push it a bit more than 300% on mine. For comparison, I shoot an Ocean Rhino RX5. Overall gun length is 59". Barrel length is 44". Shaft length is 60". Default band length is 26". I think I generally use 1 22" band and 1 24" band, and usually only load the 22".

Diameter is really up to you, and what you are comfortable pulling. I use 5/8" diameter bands with stainless steel cable wishbones. I don't trust the wire ones due to metal fatigue. The cables start to fray when it's time to replace them, so when you notice that, it's time to replace. The wire ones don't give any indication, and I've heard enough stories of them letting go that I've always used SS cable. I'm not familiar with any diameter differences in this, so I'm sure you'll be fine with the wishbone as long as it's tied properly.

Thank you for your suggestions.
I believe I will try 19", 20" and 21" bands of 9/16" o.d. for the 3 notches, and 'standard' 1/8"? wishbones.

Hello.
Need to buy/make (missing) bands for a Voit 4G44 speargun and would like to know correct diameter and length of 3 slings, and wishbone wire diameter.

Tying a Double Constrictor Knot | MAKO Spearguns

This might be of some help. We stock latex band material and tools and line and about anything you will need - except for the wishbones that are associated with that gun.

Thanks

Dano

Hello.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The gun you have is old, possibly as old as 40 years.

It was designed and manufactured in Orange County California by the late great Joseph B. Lamonica for Voit about 40 years ago. Up on the passing of Willard Voit the company was broken up and sold . Mares obtained and marketed the gun for a short time before dropping it from its inventory.

Joe picked up the pieces and began Marketing the gun as JBL. Joe retired, turned the company over to his family who up on Joe's passing eventually sold the gun to Guy Skinner in San Diego where it is still manufactured today under the JBL banner

For many years it was known as the G 44 or most commonly the "Sawed off Mangum" It is now know as the XHD by Skinners operation.

The original Voit model which you have and the models sold by Mares and Joe (JBL) fired a 3/8 X 36 inch arrow, which were propelled by TWO 1/2 X 20 inch slings.

It is an OLD but VERY serviceable classic spear gun; one of the better designs that has been around for many years and will probably be around for many more.

I would strongly suggest that you disassemble the gun, check for wear of the moving parts, especially the trigger/sear mechanism and generously lubricate where needed. It is my understanding but not verified that Skinner has developed a new case hardened sear, if so worth the effort and money to install.

I would suggest that you not overpower the gun, go with two slings, but balance them, the back one 20 inches and the front one 19 inches, which will provide approximately the same power for both slings. The factory slings were 65 pounds of pull.

I would also suggest that you make your own slings via "Dano's" instructions and when tied off with the millers knot coat the knot with a dab of finger nail polish.

It is a great gun, designed by a great California spear fisherman which if maintained will last for years and you can pass it it on to your grand children

SDM

< FYI
Check with your local JBL dealer who may have 1990 "The JBL handbook for profit and promotion" which I was a contributor (good gosh 26 years ago)

or
My 1994 (?) article from my dedicated column The Way it was" from the now defunct national magazine Discover Diving , titled "The man with the golden gun" about Joe Lamonica serializing and gold plating the G44 as a presentation gun for selected members of the SCUBA/spearfishing community--I was presented with gun number 007, the first presented outside the company. A very very rare G44 only about 10 have survived the passage of time , last one sold some years ago for $1000.00 ..SDM>

Hi Sam,

Need to know the size and thichness of bands for a Sampson standard and Long Tom spear.

sam6.JPGsam7.JPGSampson_Spear_Gun#7.JPGSampson_Speargun_Ad.jpg

Bill dead dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom