Slippery Ramp=Foolish Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrackaFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So I am exploring a few new shore diving sites here in Cayman Brac that are best accessible using very old concrete boat ramps cut into the ironshore. I guess I very been very fortunate in my diving career as I have never had to deal with ramps that are totally covered in algae and slippery as whale snot. As I wear hard sole booties, I actually thought about the removable ice crampons, but then the rum ran out and that didn’t seem like a good answer. As falls are not good for old guys, I eagerly seek some answers. Thanks in advance and Be Safe

So I am exploring a few new shore diving sites here in Cayman Brac that are best accessible using very old concrete boat ramps cut into the ironshore. I guess I very been very fortunate in my diving career as I have never had to deal with ramps that are totally covered in algae and slippery as whale snot. As I wear hard sole booties, I actually thought about the removable ice crampons, but then the rum ran out and that didn’t seem like a good answer. As falls are not good for old guys, I eagerly seek some answers. Thanks in advance and Be Safe
Glue felt to the bottom of your boots. It shouldn't interfere with fin fit and you can leave it until it wears through.

Are there rocks/structure on the side you can hold on to? Thats what we do on the boat ramp at Pt Lobos, which is super slick. And if you fall - start crawling / swimming.

Sit and slide. Falling in scuba gear onto concrete is no fun. Who cares if someone is watching and films you, like happened to me!

Are there rocks/structure on the side you can hold on to? Thats what we do on the boat ramp at Pt Lobos, which is super slick. And if you fall - start crawling / swimming.
That's what I do, and am old too.

Not really as the ramps are basically cut in at ground level and the ironshore tends to have some sharp edges. Unfortunately gloves are now allowed here.

Sit and slide. Falling in scuba gear onto concrete is no fun. Who cares if someone is watching and films you, like happened to me!
Lol and now you are probably an Internet Star, but that is definitely an option and beats falling

I'm glad someone else does the slip-n-slide also. Saturday at Cane Bay beach, I carried my tanks to the edge of the slippery slope with the fins clipped to the bottom bolt snap. I sat down with my reg in, and slid off the end of the ramp onto the sand. There I clipped in the top bolt snaps, and crawled on the sand / rocks until the water was deep enough that I wasn't being pounded by the surf. I slipped into the fins, and clipped the lower bolt snaps. Returning, I removed the fins and clipped them to the lower bolt snaps at the same spot, and let the surf carry me onto the boat ramp like a beached whale. Three good waves, and I was past the slippery stuff. I unclipped, stood up, and walked out.

Yeah. It's not how you look getting into the water, it's what you look like under the water that counts.

felt boots might work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom