Slippery Ramp=Foolish Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sit and slide. Falling in scuba gear onto concrete is no fun. Who cares if someone is watching and films you, like happened to me!
Honestly, not a bad idea. I slipped at a boat ramp before a dive and had to cancel the dive. I was putting the boat in and wearing a different pair of shoes. They were less grippy than I was used to, so I held on to the rail as I was walking down to hand off the lines. Hit an extra slippery spot and was down immediately. My grip on the rail lasted long enough to dislocate my shoulder. Popped back in, but hurt way too much to dive that day.

Glue felt to the bottom of your boots. It shouldn't interfere with fin fit and you can leave it until it wears through.
Felt is the best option. You can get them at flyfishing stores (and in Hawaii you can buy felt sole "tabis" at pretty much any supermarket, for walking on slick lava).

If you can't find felt soles, in a pinch you can get some XXL athletic socks -- hopefully ones that are large enough -- and stretch them over your boots. Even if you only get the socks over the front half of the boot, they should give you enough grip.

Something like these:

Great for slippery shore entries and exits.

Something like these:

Great for slippery shore entries and exits.
@cfberry also suggested the same thing. With my need for hard sole booties I will probably get something like @Tracy and @Still Kicking recommended. Just have to wait until I return to the Land of Big Box stores as nothing like that seems to exist on the Brac. Big shoutout to everyone. As a giant vat of knowledge and ideas, Scubaboard rocks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom