small RB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What's the smallest rebreather available?

I know RBs are usually used to extend gas time and all... but what if you're only purpose is to replace your single/double rig with a smaller setup?

I don't wanna get flamed like I did in other threads, so I'm gonna give a disclaimer: "I'm only ASKING" :)

I heard someone built one out of a TP roll (literally). I think the version that actually was dived used a paper towel roll as they couldnt get enough soda lime into the tp roll.

Back in reality land it sounds like a simple unit like the Dolphin might be the answer to your question. There is a picture on these guys' web site: http://www.axel-horn-dive.de/old Browser/alte Browser_engl/Draeger Dolphin.htm

...AND WHY NOT ASK?...

Try Dave Sutton's website. He has a very professional, and very small unit. It is not for sale, however, just an example of something one might build!=-)

yup! something like that. Cool RB though!

I was checking out the RB in Halcyon's site, and their ratio is something like 8:1 ...

So a small 10-12cf pony could, in theory, give as much air as a standard AL80, even more.

I was just thinking it would be great if they got to semi-perfect RB technology to a point where they could mass produce small 10-12cf rbs for the general public. Something depth restricted to 130', and normal scuba times.

This way, deep-sea exploration RBs would, in essence, be funded by the mass produced versions... much the way the automobile industry works... high-end cars are semi-test beds for new technologies that push the limits... the technology trickles down to the cheaper cars... which are sold to the masses... which in turn generate more funding for the high end cars... then the cycle repeats.

jplacson once bubbled...
yup! something like that. Cool RB though!

I was checking out the RB in Halcyon's site, and their ratio is something like 8:1 ...

So a small 10-12cf pony could, in theory, give as much air as a standard AL80, even more.
KISS / mini kiss is dived with 2 by 8 cuft (1 litre) tanks for a couple of hours at any depth...

The benefits of closed loop rather than leaky pipe...

Se7en

Rebreathers are cool but they have a whole new set of hazards and dangerous failure modes.
Good training is *very* important!

Take a look at;
http://www.atlimp.com/dive.htm
read the warnings and then take a look at;
http://www.atlimp.com/pend2.htm

This guy has tons of cool stuff on his site, plan on some time looking around and reading his stories.

Hi John,
rebreathers can be made quite small, no dpoubt. And tanks are usually still major weight factors. The problem is not the gas to be rebreathed, but rather the bailout gas. Even from 130 ft. a spare air sized cylinder is probably not enough for most people, and certainly wouldn't be if you adhered to max. ascend speed or incurred any deco obligation.

But the thought of a small RB is tempting. Here on of my favorite pics that has been adrift on the net for a while:

Here a pic I took of her and the 'mini' KISS last year.
For links to most of the current RB manufacturers have a look at the "Is it worth it?" thread.

Back
Top Bottom