SMS 75 as a single backmount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B.Elster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If anyone has used sms 75 as a single backmount, can you share your opinion? I have one lying around and am looking for an on-budget single backmount system. Someone suggested I add an STA to the sms75 and done. Is it that simple? Is it any good in this config? Other than an STA, what would I need? Diving cold water up here in Canada and will need at least 16 lbs of lead, so advice on packing that to trim (pockets, belt, other?) would be great. Alternatively, what would you recommend for a complete single backmount system that won't break the bank?

There are slots for cambands. No STA needed. I know someone who does this all the time. I can’t imagine it’s the best as it’s made for sidemount. I ONLY use my 75 for SM.

An SMS 75 works just fine for backmount; I've used my SMS 75 that way several times to good effect. All things considered, though, I'd rather use a BPW for a cheap and lightweight recreational setup. If you sniff around and get the components used, you can put together a kit for $200 USD.

Regarding adding lead to the SMS 75, you can mount ditchable weight pockets on the waist webbing, and you can also strap weights to the shoulder webbing. Or you can use a weight belt or a weight harness system like DUI sells.

I know people who mount an AL40 deco bottle with a couple cam bands on an SMS when they jump in the ocean. It works. No STA needed, being a sidemount wing it is already configured to avoid tacoing. I'm not calling it a perfect setup, but something divable using mostly what you have around. Good for the odd time you want a single backmount, not something I would recommend for a primary dive rig.

Upon further reflection, I realized an obvious solution if you're using an AL80 tank: monkey-dive.

Install a hip D-ring or a sliding D-ring on the waist webbing, then use your standard SM rigging and clip in that way. Then, as the tank empties, move the bottom clip from the doorknob/rail to the hip/sliding D-ring and then the crotch D-ring. You'll end up "riding" the tank, but it's a very comfortable and stable way to dive.

I tried monkey-diving for the first time this past weekend (using an SMS 100 with the Edd Sorenson mods that essentially make it into a heavy-duty SMS 75), and it worked beautifully.

Upon further reflection, I realized an obvious solution if you're using an AL80 tank: monkey-dive.

Install a hip D-ring or a sliding D-ring on the waist webbing, then use your standard SM rigging and clip in that way. Then, as the tank empties, move the bottom clip from the doorknob/rail to the hip/sliding D-ring and then the crotch D-ring. You'll end up "riding" the tank, but it's a very comfortable and stable way to dive.

I tried monkey-diving for the first time this past weekend (using an SMS 100 with the Edd Sorenson mods that essentially make it into a heavy-duty SMS 75), and it worked beautifully.
This is the way for AL80s

Would not recommend this with a larger steel tank however. You can backmount 100s-130s with the SMS75 and its not fabulous but gets the job done.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom