Tropical diving: correct amount of weight versus trim (correct weight distribution)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I just returned from a trip to Cuba (per the US state department, traveled for the purpose of education and support of the Cuban people) where I went diving twice with two different companies.

Now most of you should know that I'm a correct weighting zealot which covers both the amount and the distribution for being trim. While renting equipment in Cuba, these were conflicting goals. With the first dive center, I was given a shorty (already a problem for trim) and an HP117 steel cylinder (a surprise as I'm used to AL80s for most places I go). The HP117 was placed as high up as I could where a slight tilt back of my head would bring my head in contact with the first stage. I needed no additional weight, but I was still foot heavy. The BCD was a single cylinder strap, no trim pockets, and the other divers were given weight belts.

With the second company, we at least had AL80s, but the same BCD type: single AL80, no ditachable pockets. I did at least have a full length wetsuit which helped. However, I needed 2 kg of weight which was placed in the BCD pockets. I wish I had taken bungee that would simulate a weight plate like you see here (I don't think these are absolutely necessary but YMMV).

1679090956106.png

With the bungee cord, I could have attached weight high on the shoulder straps of my BCD for both dive centers. When diving with the steel cylinder, I'd be overweighted, but I think I'd prefer to be trimmed and overweighted than foot heavy and having the correct amount of weight as when I stopped finning, my feet would slowly sink and some of my energy from finning would go to reestablishing trim.

For the aluminum cylinder, moving the 2 kg from the pockets to high on the cylinder strap may have been what I needed to be trimmed. Hard to say until the next time.

I figured I'd share this and see what other folks have to say. I do think trim doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I will be doing a trip review later on after I process my pics that were taken with a simple UW P&S without strobe.

Kosta, were you using negatively buoyant fins like SP Jetfins? Were positive fins available?

Kosta, were you using negatively buoyant fins like SP Jetfins? Were positive fins available?
I had the fins they provided. I think they were slightly negative like most fins are. They were not the best of fins.

The only variables I had to play with was sliding the cylinder up, and placing weights using bungee (well, if I had some) and in the weight pockets or a weight belt. I think taking weight pouches to use on the single cylinder strap may have helped slightly, but not much due to its proximity to the center of mass.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty janky rental setup. Bringing bungees or trim pockets along might have helped, but only so much. And like you say, you'd be fixing the trim problem by introducing an overweighting problem -- not ideal.

And like you say, you'd be fixing the trim problem by introducing an overweighting problem -- not ideal.
Being overweighted for the sake of trim is the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

I didn't see anyone in trim, except for the woman who brought her own BP/W!

Belize taught me to lower my expectations to the floor.

Care to elaborate on the Belize thing? I'm going to Belize for a week on the Aggressor in about a month, curious to hear your experience

Care to elaborate on the Belize thing? I'm going to Belize for a week on the Aggressor in about a month, curious to hear your experience
Simply the amount of poor buoyancy control and situational awareness I saw so much coral being broken. The worst diver was a photographer who had been diving since the 90s. He was crawling over the reef to take pics.

Well, that sucks to see. Hopefully I won't see any dingdongs crawling on the reef when I go 🤞

I think something like Amazon: Velcro 8" x 1/2" Cable Ties would probably be the most flexible as long as you have access to slotted hard weights. You could attach them to the shoulder straps or even the neck/valve. You can also chain them for longer lengths if required

71IHYWDacDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

$11.15 for 150 should cover you for a while.

I use them for attaching my Tekna "Chameleon" marker lights to the tank neck on night dives.

Good post. Impossible for me to be properly weight distributed in a poodle jacket with one cylinder strap. Doesn't help to have a long inseam. I suspect the majority of newly certified divers who continue to dive occasionally on warm water vacations never dive enough to come to this realization. Thus the seahorses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom