Weighting for tropical diving with SS BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of thoughts. What do you use for additional weight when wearing more exposure protection in NZ? As mentioned, trim pockets on cambands is a solution. Can be on either upper or lower band (or both) according to your trim. Convenient and tidy.

I don't normally use additional weight. I've got a very heavy old tank, or I'm using my twinset. Previously when I had a standard jacket, I used 2x 1.5kg on a rubber weight belt. I've become far more fussy about trim since then however.

Trim pockets on cam bands would work well, but I don't see myself doing more tropical diving anytime soon. The cost/effort of putting another hole in the plate and cable tying in a weight makes that more appealing to me.

Trim pockets on cam bands would work well, but I don't see myself doing more tropical diving anytime soon. The cost/effort of putting another hole in the plate and cable tying in a weight makes that more appealing to me.

Fair enough. Space is limited between my wing and backplate, so a a bit snug for adding weight at the centre. There's more space towards the edge of the backplate. Which backplate do you have? Shouldn't need to drill any more holes if using cable ties, but you may need something on the inside of the plate. A stainless weight retainer would work. Hope that makes sense!

I finally got around to doing it today. Hawaii next week!
IMG20230918165134.jpg

IMG20230918165149.jpg

IMG20230918165432.jpg

Will need to add about 6 lb for salt from the ideal pool weighting. (The math is 2.4% of you + all gear.)

That said, I often dive with 2 lbs more than is perfect because 2 lb bricks are not available everywhere. So I use two 3-lb bricks, which is close enough.

If you don't want to hassle with things, just do the same. Boat operators in Maui provide lead. No need to buy unless you're doing shore dives (and don't want to rent).
I could use some clarity on this. I know 6lb is not 2.4% of the OPs weight even without gear (that's just about 5lbs). What are you taking 2.4% of?

@Dan G - It's 2.4% of *everything*. OP's 200 lb, the ~35 lb AL80+reg, the 10+ lb Halcyon BP/W/STA, fins, any lead (not in the OP's case), etc.

Check with the shop you are using to see if they use hard weights as many of them use soft weights. Also depending on your cold tolerance a 3/2 may not be enough. Hawaii is warmish water not warm water and I now use a 5mm full suit year around there and you will see guides there in 7/8mm in the winter. Current water temperature is 80F.

I’ve used my 3/2 a few times for scuba diving in the middle of summer here in Nz in 20 deg C water. That’s not enough neoprene for that situation. I wear the same suit for surfing in 12 degree water.

80 deg F is 26 deg C. I’ve been using my 8/7 semi dry for scuba diving in 12 degree C water recently. I wouldn’t mind getting a dry suit at some stage, but it’s only that temperature for a few months and I can still do 2x 45 min dives in those conditions.

That’s fairly normal cold tolerance for a New Zealander, but I’m guessing that’s not for a Hawaiian.

I remember moving to a tropical place for work for 6 months in the middle of their winter. I thought the local pool was a nice temperature, but the locals were doing laps in wetsuits!

SCUBA is different to other watersports in that you don't move very much, at least if you're doing it right :)

I wore the equivalent of a semi-dry on an Egyptian liveabord with 30 degree water temperature and was just fine. I've rarely been too hot SCUBA diving, but have been too hot when freediving which was an odd sensation.

Back
Top Bottom