Sniff... Video Light "Flooded..." What to Buy Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, after seven years of filming with the old SunRay video lights (the ones with the Makita 7100 batteries), my last one finally "flooded" yesterday. It was only a few drops of water (no idea where it came from), but enough to apparently fry the electronics. They no longer carry parts for these dinosaurs so repair is out of the question.

I guess I'm being forced into changing to HID lights (something I had hoped to wait a little longer on due to budget... or lack thereof). I've been looking at the NightRider HID Pro 20 system. Was wondering if others out there have been using these lights and have any feedback on them.

You can still do halogen if you want. I believe, Niterider, Ikelite, Nocturnal, Light & Motion and Sartek, all still make halogen lights.

Are you sure you can't still use the lamps and just replace the battery pods ?

drbill:
I guess I'm being forced into changing to HID lights (something I had hoped to wait a little longer on due to budget... or lack thereof). I've been looking at the NightRider HID Pro 20 system. Was wondering if others out there have been using these lights and have any feedback on them.

I have had this system for a few years now and really like them. For night dives they are more then adequate. I've just started to use them for macro during the day, and have had really good results so far, though I'm starting to wish I had the Pro 40 system. I don't know what the price difference is, but you may want to consider the Pro 40, which are switchable from 10-40 watts (according to the Gates site).

As far as problems with the lights, I've only had a couple. I had one go dead on me and NiteRider swapped it out. Every once in awhile I will have one go out, but I think that's usually when the battery is getting low. I've heard someone complain that they splitter would break on them, but I haven't had that experience.

Good luck!

ronscuba:
You can still do halogen if you want. I believe, Niterider, Ikelite, Nocturnal, Light & Motion and Sartek, all still make halogen lights.

Are you sure you can't still use the lamps and just replace the battery pods ?

These are the really old style SunRays with the integrated battery pods and light heads. Neither L&M or Backscatter have any parts for these lights. When it flooded the first time a few years ago(also mysteriously), they were able to rebuild it but said they had no more parts then to rebuild one if it failed.

ScubaBob92651:
I've heard someone complain that they splitter would break on them, but I haven't had that experience.

Good luck!

Thanks, Bob.

The splitter? Not sure what that is.

drbill:
Thanks, Bob.

The splitter? Not sure what that is.

The power comes off of the battery as a single line and is split into two with a Y connector/splitter. The lights are connected using "wet-connect" type cables.

Scratch what I said earlier about the Pro-40, have you seen the PRO 80?? (drooling...)

Dr Bill, what housing will you be hooking your lights up to?

The Niteriders are a great option. My personal favorite are the Green Force Squid 50 HID lights. Very compact, very durable, wide beam and even distribution, and EXTREMELY reliable.

Thanks, Bob.

Right now I'm using Backscatter's Top Dawg for my Sony HC-7. Not the best option of course due to several factors including lack of access to white balance. However, it has worked with all of my other Sony video cameras (five of them) and it didn't cost me a cent.

I'm waiting for a trade-out deal that may result in a new L&M housing for the HC-7.

Hey Doc

Just got in my hands brandy new today. Twin Salvo 50 watt heads on a 15 amp Li Ion cannister (don't ask cost, Amex called me up to verify the purchase) wide reflectors, nice hard ware. So at least if my videos are boring you they will be brightly lit

Back
Top Bottom