Snorkel clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tilting your head back is how I do it also...

it's really good because your snorkel is already clear when you break, so you can inhale quickly...great in free diving.

yak and MantaRey is known as the displacement method. This method is the easiest way to clear a snorkle. The purge valve makes this method pretty much ineffective. Get a plain snorkle without all the bells, whistles and valves.

Make a breath hold dive with the snorkle. As you look upward to make your ascent release a small puff of air into the snorkle. As you break the surface turn your face down into the water but do not submerge your head. You can exhale now and then draw an easy, cautious breath. The snorkle will have been cleared on the way up--compliments of Boyle's Law.

Okay, so I got into the water yesterday and the purge is definitely a problem. When I attempt to blast out the water, the only thing that happens is that air comes out the bottom of the snorkel.

I'm reluctant to tape the purge, since I do find it useful when I'm snorkelling on the surface, so I think I'll have to buy a plain one. Two snorkels, just what every diver needs :) OTOH, in the context of paying for the DM course and the trips I want to do this summer, a new snorkel is neither here nor there.

Thanks for the descriptions of displacement clearing, I will try that as well.

Zept

ZEPT you crazy man , look , your purge must be pinched , folded or otherwise compromised . My snorkel purge works great .
when i put my head under and the snorkel accidentally fills with water all i have to do is lightly exhale through my snorkel and all the water clears out . it looks like a disk of rubber on the bottom of snorkel . thats how the water flows out but cant come back in .
if air is blowing out the bottom but water is not clearing , then its your snorkel thats not working right . I accidentally had the rubber flap bent under itself once , the same thing happened .

Back
Top Bottom