Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While most training agencies have standards dictating that students will have snorkels during training, I tend not to use one in my everyday diving. There are situations that no snorkel should ever be used on the mask: cave/cavern, wreck penetration, ice (hey, hard to snorkel back to the hole), and SAR teams generally don't use them. I know that I have been criticized for not having a snorkel from my regular buddy, but personal preference reins king in this instance. However, a good j-style snorkel is an excellent resource for rescues (mouth to snorkel rescue breathing).

Swimming face up on your back is the easiest and most likely, you don't need a snorkel. But, you have to turn every now and then to make sure that you are swimming in the right direction.

Swimming face down is harder compared to swimming on your back because of the tendency of the fins to break to the surface of water, but it is easier for you to look and make sure you're swimming in the right direction.

Sometimes, the waves may be strong and splashes you in the face. If that is the case, then the snorkel would help you breathe easier without wasting precious air from your tank, before and after the dive.

For most experienced divers, putting on a snorkel is a nuisance. It can also get entangled with your low pressure inflator hose, for example.

The alternative, carry a snorkel in your BCD pocket but KNOW how to put it on if you need to use it.

I have a back flotation bc and i have just recently started using my compass on long surface swims were i will be swimming on my back. Cheers

The snorkel is old hat and too much trouble? Think you got it made once you are on the surface? Think again, and get off your backside before something bites you on the ass.

The snorkle/no-snorkle has been around for a long time and will probably continue to be around for a lot longer.

As with a lot of other things, it personal preference.

The best answer I have been able to come with is "It Depends".

DSAO

I've spent hours of my time wrangling with folks who are discussing and advocating every conceivable, expensive, cumbersome, convoluted, bizarre "safety" device or procedure our technology can produce. For example, pony bottles, extra stages, extra regulators, "sausages", horns, strobes, long hoses, short hoses, DIN, DIR, double bladders, yearly overhauls, redundant valves; but when a truly simple, low tech, inexpensive and necessary safety item is raised, I fully expected everyone to stand up and salute.

Forget ice diving and caving, that is strange stuff. One of these days, your dive is not going to be ladder to rope to ladder. In the real world of currents, rough seas, long swims, leaky BC's, back inflating BC's, low air, forgetful captains and Jaws, you need that snorkel.

I agree with Daylight on "It Depends".

I have been thinking of experimenting with using some velcro on my mask strap and snorkel in place of a snorkel keeper for holding it up, and some method of stowing it on my BC so it is "out of the way" while below water, but easy to retrieve once I surface.

Once I come up with something, I will get some photos taken and demonstrate my idea.

--TM

(PS. if you use it, you owe me a pizza and a 6 of GOOD beer)

I once tried aquaseal to attatch a piece of velcro to my snorkle and another to my bcd. Unfortunately, on a giant stride entry it would pop off. Over time the velcro has come off of both and the idea has not been revisited.

My idea was for attachment to the BC would be something other than velcro (maybe 2 loops of strategically placed bungee). Going diving this weekend at Possum Kingdom Lake so I might work on this idea between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom