Snorkeling- Eastern Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natalie89

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

So I recently ran into an old friend who really likes the water, and is very comfortable with it. Unfortunatly, we are both students, and she does not have the money to get her SCUBA license.

So I am wondering where there any good places in Eastern Ontario to snorkel? I once dove in the Crow River in Marmara, a quarry in Shannonville, etc. I basically live in the Belleville area.

If you know of any areas, let me know me please!

Hi Natalie,

There are several spots around Belleville/Shannonville

I think the nicest for snorkelling is Lake on the Mountain ( Lake on the Mountain, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada ) which is a little bit east of Picton, directly up the mountainside from the Glenora Ferry docks. There are no motorboats allowed on the lake, and they've kept it pollution free, so it's full of pretty fish & other creatures. Makes you realize how lush the lakes of Ontario must have been in the old days before pollution started wrecking them. It also doesn't hurt that there's a restaurant there where they brew their own beer fresh!

By July the water is so warm you can go in without a wetsuit (or at least some of us, my SO still likes to wear a thin wetsuit or a special stinger suit we made, even if the rougher & tougher folks are going without :cold: )

Use google maps to find Point Petre on Quinte's Isle, you can get to it via some *very* rough dirt roads, but you'll need to figure out your route before you leave, your Ontario Road map will just get you lost. There are fossils out in the water, and scuba divers who've gone out deeper have found some ships' artifacts. Even in summer wear some protection, even if it's just a stinger suit, and don't go out without a buddy, you can find yourself getting beat around rather suddenly, and the reason for the stinger suit or wetsuit is you can find yourself being abraded across the rocks by heavy waves (the best rocks for fossils, are of course, the ones you least want to be around in heavy surf) Also the water temp. can change quickly if the wind shifts. See Peter's Scuba Photo Gallery

There are great fossils to be found along the south shore of Presqu'ile Point park near Brighton as well. Water conditions and rocks are much gentler than Point Petre, but perhaps not as rewarding? Best to check it out yourself.

Look up Black Creek, Port Milfor & South Bay on the east side of Prince Edward County. Port Milford used to be a thriving port in the 1800s, and the mouth of Black River, and the bay arouns Port Milford was full of ships. Stuff used to be thrown over the side, or dropped accidentally, and people have found all kinds of artefacts. I've found pieces of dishes from the 1800s, never an intact one, unfortunately, but a friend from Belleville found an intact caldron about 1-1/2' in diameter.

Have fun this summer!

Back
Top Bottom