Snorkeling Ichetucknee Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphinOrmond

Registered
Reaction score
Since I live in Central Florida, a lo-o-ong motorcycle ride from the great snorkeling in the Keys, I was glad to experience something that would make it worth while for those lucky bustards from the south part to make the trek up to our neck of the swamp. Itchetucknee Springs and stream is enclosed by a State park. The facilities are all entirely first rate and the personnel are friendly and "real." This is a great park by every measure. One can park his m/c, car, SUV or Greyhound at the South Entrance and a van ride is provided, at no extra charge (there is a $5 entrance fee), to the North Entrance. From there one can make a 3 hour or more snorkel down this pristine stream through untouched nature. There are lots of birds and fishes and turtles. The water, for the first half, is clear, as in perfectly clear. Then it gets just a little dusted up for some natural reason. At the end is a tram ride about mile north to the South parking lot. The water is moving at a pleasant clip so it feels like one is super snorkeler. The water is always 72 degrees. I don't carry much fat on me and on both occasions that I've made the trip, I felt like 3 or 3-1/2 hours was enough for me. I never shivered but the body is being cooled down. This isn't a trip for children or anyone who doesn't feel a certain amount of self-confidence in his or her stamina. But the key to the whole thing is to get there at or before 8:00 AM. Never on a weekend day. If there are tube-people setting off at the same time, they are left behind and out of site in about 15 seconds. Most recently I went on Thursday, 8/28. Schools were open, so no kiddies were present. It is only possible to do this trip between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The North Entrance is closed, I think, all winter.

Sounds like a great trip. I am in Clermont, where is the park? I think I have see the name before, but I couldn't tell you where it is.

High Springs. Just a little North and West of Gainsville. On 441.

Thnx for the info

All of the springs around the Ocala National Forest are worth going to. Silver Springs doesn't allow swimming or snorkeling due to gators? I heard that, and hope it's not true. Salt Springs is shallow, Alexander is a good spot I've heard. I just snorkeled Silver Glen and the Crystal River. It was outstanding, but crowded. Just when I was appreciating the famous three sisters spring, a bunch of drunken yahoos dragged their pool toys and inner tubes through the barrier and kicked up the sediment through the shallow areas.

Silver Glen has huge stripped bass and mullet, but is also a popular swimming hole. :( If you make it down to the opening of the spring at around 25 feet, the water flowing out nearly shoots you back up. Very powerful.

Crystal River is so beautiful, that I wouldn't mind just snorkeling up the whole thing. Boat traffic is everywhere, and the Manatee tours. Get an early start. I swam with a young manatee, observed a large adult, and saw a dolphin swim through a channel. I would have a small boat and a dive flag for safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom