Snorkeling in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adevlupes

Reaction score
I'm taking a cruise to Cozumel at the end of November. I've heard that the Palancar and Colombia reefs are the best to see, but I'd love some advice as to where to go to get the best snorkel experience.

Also, I tried booking a trip thru the cruise company, but the trip I want to go on has a maximum weight limit for participants of 225 lbs. I tried to find out why, because the friend I'm cruisng with, although healthy, is probably close to 250lbs. The company had no answers. I've snorkeled in the Bahamas for years and have never been asked about weight!!! Can anyone tell me why they would care?

Finally, if anyone can recommend a good company to arrange the snorkel trip I'd really appreciate it. Any and all advice is welcome!

Well, these questions are all over the place. I can't answer your query concerning cruise policy but maybe it is based on "no fat chicks", or fire code (insurance), or maybe their bunks won't hold excess weight. I'm not aware of snorkeling at Palencar, that is, or used to be, strictly SCUBA from boats. The straits are all possessed by strong currents and drift diving is the norm. A professional freediver might be able to drift dive some of the area but the average depth over the reef is probably about 80 feet.

Snorkeling is possible inshore on the lee side of the island but the bottom is mostly sand. However, the area around Caleta reef might offer some sight seeing but don't stray out too far, Depths drop to 200 feet rather quickly. I don't know how much that area has built up. I haven't been there in 30 years. I presume there is still beach access.

There must be better islands to snorkel, like Bonaire or the US Virgin Islands. One of those islands has an underwater park and camping grounds.

Just a wild guess that, to cover their tail ends in this sue-sue-sue-happy society, most cruise ships require that their passengers wear snorkeling vests when engaging in these types of in-water activities. And maybe the vests will not accommodate a 250 Lb. person. More incentive for your friend to get on a treadmill between now and then.

You could snorkel just about anywhere on the lee (west) side of the island as long as you hug the iron shore and don't drift too far offshore because the current will take you away, as pescador775 indicated. I've snorkeled in front of a few hotels - Plaza las Glorias, the Fiesta Americana, and one other that I can't recall. It's nothing to write home about, but you still see some stuff.

Last but not least, there's Chankanaab Park, which is like halfway between Palancar and downtown - any cab driver will know the place because it's where most snorkelers and daytrippers go.

I went on a carnival cruise with my daughter a few years ago and we did the "cruise booked" snorkel excursion with no problems and I well exceded that weight at the time.

I went to Chankanaab park twice and I was very satisfied of what I saw there. You can rent a snorkeling equipment for something about 8$ if I remember well. You can do a lot of activities a this park, visit ruins replica, visit a very nice garden and also you can swin with dolphins or simply relax on a chair to have a good tan. The reef is accesible from shore. It's a little bit difficult to enter de water because of the slippy rocks, but you'll have a lot of fun there.

Like it was said before, any cab driver know where it is and it's about five minute drive from the boat pier where cruise ship stop. You must pay the entrance, around 10$. It makes a total cost of around 30$ for the day for taxi, park entrance and snorkeling equipment. It's a good trip for a low price. Beautifull day to past here, very appropriated to a cruise excursion. No need to pay for an expensive tour at this island.

At the diving shop, you can pay for a tour with a guide (around 20-30$ I think) and they show you beautifull thing all around the reef. You can also pay more and have a scuba diving training if you want. I never took this tour, but I know it's possible to do it.

I would like to post pictures for you, but I can't until I have 5 messages posted on the forum. I will place them here if you want when I will have made my 5 posts.

I never went somewhere else in Cozumel, so I can't compare. I hoped that helps you.

Sorry if my english is bad, I talk french....

We were there in '06 on a cruise. We caught a cab to Paradise Beach, and then a catamaran from there out to Columbia and Palancar.

yeah, it sounds like they don't have snorkel jackets to fit larger sizes and legally are required to provide them. Just do the shore excursion to Chankanaab Park, wear your swimsuits and take any snorkel gear you own, and have a great time. :D

I wonder if the weight limit is because that company was using a small boat???

I just got back from Cozumel. I stayed at the Presidente and dived with Scubadu. But I wanted to take two days for snorkeling. One day I snorkeled with Alfredo's or Alberto's, not sure of the name; it's a restaurant on the beach that also runs snorkeling. NOT recommended! I felt it was poorly run. The other day I snorkeled with Scubadu. Much better!

Both times we went to Palencar Gardens and one or two other places. There are several places called "Palencar." Where we went the bottom was 40 or 45 feet, accessible by free diving, depending on your ability, but nice even from the surface. The current was not bad, and the boat stayed close. (Some of the dive sites had much stronger currents!)

I agree with some folks above who said that there are much better places than Cozumel for snorkeling, but if you are there, the snorkeling is nice. I didn't visit the park, but people said it was very nice. I see no reason a heavy person could not snorkel, and I'm sure there are operators who would be delighted to take you and your friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom