So how are you set ... "pool-wise"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen, you've hit upon one of the prime logistical problems in teaching scuba: how/where to find a pool!

There have already been some good answers... local colleges, high schools. However, you should also try municipal aquatic centres or even private or athletic clubs.

A couple of points:

1) Renting the WHOLE pool is VERY expensive. Sometimes all you really need is a lane with a deep & a shallow end. If all you want is "a bit" of the pool your scheduling options will be wider, as some pools will let you "share" with classes that they are already running.

2) Offering a discount on scuba instruction to the facilities. If you offer to teach staff for a discount, they usually will reciprocate with good pricing & availability.

3) If you go the private or athletic club route, access is easier if you offer to teach their members (or staff) at a special price.

How to overcome objections: offering a "damage deposit" is a good idea. You can go one better by making sure that they know you will be using groundcloths, tank boots, etc. to protect the pool surface.

In the end it's a positive attitude and willingness to co-operate with these places that forges the relationship necessary to run a successful pool program with an outside facility.

Hope this helped,

~SubMariner~

I would Recive the program flyers from the local adult education. Noticed their was no scuba program. They had ever thing else lap swim, swim lessons, but no scuba. Went and talk to the program director and talked about starting a scuba program. Had to go to the school board and explaine the progam, next to the school and back to the program director with every one,s apprroval, next to the insurance companys, both the school and adult education program. Had to list every one has additonal insured on my insurane. I got a free listing in the adult ed program booklet they sent out 80,000 copies so it looks like will have several full class. If one percent of the people who get the program book take the class that,s 800 students.

Hi:
I noticed this thread started back in August. How did it work out?
Stephen did you get your place? Indscuba did your classes fill to 800 students. Hope so!

:gorgeous:

Our shop used the local YMCA pool - it was quite adequate for teaching the basics and teaching you to breathe underwater. The first time in the lake though is a unique experience........

My LDS owner/instructor contracts with the local college to use their pool. It was in great shape and indoors. I don't know what his arrangement with them was. He may teach a scuba course at the college because it is a tech college.

Back
Top Bottom