So How Large Can You Carry-On Knife Be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I took my knife off of my BC for Cozumel and stuck it inside a small canvas bag with camera batteries and chargers, forgot all about it when I thru that bag in my roll-on. It went thru airport X-ray inspection in Cancun and again in Houston with no problem, but I am amazed. Guess the batteries disguised it, and we pay an extra $10 per trip for TSA security.
[c]
The blade is blunt but sharp and just over 3 inches long...

carryon knife ed.jpg

Click pic for larger veiw[/c]

So, they're letting you near sharp objects again?

Good for you :rofl3:

I took my knife off of my BC for Cozumel and stuck it inside a small canvas bag with camera batteries and chargers, forgot all about it when I thru that bag in my roll-on. It went thru airport X-ray inspection in Cancun and again in Houston with no problem, but I am amazed. Guess the batteries disguised it, and we pay an extra $10 per trip for TSA security.
[c]
The blade is blunt but sharp and just over 3 inches long...

View attachment 57524

Click pic for larger veiw[/c]

Ha! I went on a business trip from Newark to Seattle about a month ago. I grabbed a different carry-on bag for my laptop before I left. I get to my hotel room in Seattle, open the bag and out drops my machete (I mean titanium dive knife that I never use). Thing is 8 inches long and weighs mucho. I sent it back via UPS to my house.

Vive la TSA!

Well, we're safe in the knowledge that they won't let our plastic bottles of water get thru...!

You people obviously are missing the new functions of TSA:
1. Employ people
2. Stimulate the economy
3. Instill a sense of security in the traveler (actually an original goal)
4. Generate revenue (the $10 TSA fee, the $ they get when selling confiscated items on eBay, and the hefty fine if you're caught with contraband)

I did the same once too, accidentally put a dive knife - blunt tip but not that small - in carryon (actually, in my husbands :blush:) Not only did security in Cayman catch it, they still let him carry it on. Pre TSA, but still.

I did the same once too, accidentally put a dive knife - blunt tip but not that small - in carryon (actually, in my husbands :blush:) Not only did security in Cayman catch it, they still let him carry it on. Pre TSA, but still.
Oh hell, pre-TSA I could wear a folding, lock blade, pointed hunting knife that opened up to 8" onto a plane - and did many times.

I took my knife off of my BC for Cozumel and stuck it inside a small canvas bag with camera batteries and chargers, forgot all about it when I thru that bag in my roll-on. It went thru airport X-ray inspection in Cancun and again in Houston with no problem,

Are you bragging or complaining?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom