So I am going to Australia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, yesterday I booked a two week trip to Cairns Australia. Well actually it 12 days after we account for travel time. Any way we are spending the first 4 days in town, then 7 days on Mike Ball's Spoilsoirt, then 1 more day on land before returning to our everyday boring life. I can't wait!

Now what can anyone tell me about the diving? We will be there in November (2006). What kind of water temps can we expect? Anyone have reccomendations for things to do on land?

Cairns will be hot and Dry, the rains don't kick off till January.
in November I usually just dive in a pair of shorts, but if you tend to get cold a 3mm shorty will do the trick, or maybe a 3mm full body if you are a wuss. Water temp around 80f, 26c

Grab a car and go up to the mountains behind Carins they are outstanding, get in some whitwater rafting on the Tully river. Take a day and drive up to Townsville its a great coast drive. And of course a parachute jump onto the beach is a must.

As for what there is to see here are some photos from my last trip a couple of months ago
http://www.uwphotog.com/galleries/cairns/cairns.html

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the info. I can't wait. I wish it was the trip was this November. The only part I am not pooking forward to is the 27 hours of travel to get there.

Sounds like Cairns is a town for those that thrive on adrenaline. As much as I love diving I will likely pass on the*rafting and forget about getting a parachute on me.

So when you say hot and dry how hot is hot?

Well since you only have 471 days until your trip, you can study up with books, videos and of course ScubaBoard.

I just checked out your GBR photos - fantastic! I'm going for the first time this October. Any recommendations on dive operators and sites. I've heard that parts of the reef are unhealthy. Is that true and if so, which parts are unhealthy? Thanks, Tannika

Sydney_Diver:
Cairns will be hot and Dry, the rains don't kick off till January.
in November I usually just dive in a pair of shorts, but if you tend to get cold a 3mm shorty will do the trick, or maybe a 3mm full body if you are a wuss. Water temp around 80f, 26c

Grab a car and go up to the mountains behind Carins they are outstanding, get in some whitwater rafting on the Tully river. Take a day and drive up to Townsville its a great coast drive. And of course a parachute jump onto the beach is a must.

As for what there is to see here are some photos from my last trip a couple of months ago
http://www.uwphotog.com/galleries/cairns/cairns.html

Cheers
Chris

Tannika:
I just checked out your GBR photos - fantastic! I'm going for the first time this October. Any recommendations on dive operators and sites. I've heard that parts of the reef are unhealthy. Is that true and if so, which parts are unhealthy? Thanks, Tannika

Hi Tannika
Thanks for the compliments on the images.

Best bet is to get on a liveabord and go up to the Ribbon Reefs and out to the Coral Sea, 5-8 days trips this is the best diving. The day boats (cattle boats) out of Cairns are expensive and not mind blowing diving. Long haul for very little to see.

Boats to look at
Undersea explorer (IMHO) the best value for money
Taka (Cheap and comfy)
Mike ball (Show me the money)

Cheers
Chris

The wife and I will be spending 7 day's on Mike Ball's Spolied Sport. So what might I expect to see while there?

Back
Top Bottom