Australia tourism and time of year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brou0040

New
Reaction score
We are looking at doing a 5 to 7 night trip with Mike Ball out of Cairns in 2023. We can do either mid-June through July or Late December early Jan (2024). We are looking for suggestions to help decide which timeframe to go. Is snorkeling with the dwarf minke whales worth picking that season? Do the dive trips going for the whales do less dives because of the whales?

We would also like to do some general tourism in Australia while we are there. Any suggestions on what we could do while we are there? Is there plenty to do out of Cairns? It looks like flights connect through Brisbane, thoughts on tourism there? Would we want to fly further south to Melbourne or Sydney?

Hi brou0040

The questions in your first paragraph are probably best answered by the contributor "Aquapro Dive Services" - I suggest that you send them a private message in the first instance. With respect to your second paragraph, I would suggest that you look online at the relevant Australian state/territory tourist bureau websites. Also, there is probably be a regional tourist bureau for Far North Queensland which should be able to provide the information that you need.

The live-aboard in question should provide most of your answers in regards to prevailing weather conditions. As in any tourist setting, your concierge, at the accommodation of your choice, in the selected geographical region in the southern hemisphere, should provide an imaginable number of tantalizing spectacles while visiting sacred Aboriginal land. It is customary not to tip—doing so is regarded as an insult. If you feel generous, feed a stray dog.

Much better in winter, that is, June to August or even to October. December and January you are into Summer and high humidity and cyclones.

Sydney is the number one city in Australia, so yes, worth visiting. So is Melbourne for that matter.

Thanks diver257a and yeah drop me a pm as a lot to write here.

I am based in Cairns and Minke season is June to Sept so Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball that go to the Ribbon Reef areas (main Minke spotting) book out months in advance. However it's the prime season to go so would recommend then.

Anytime is good to go to the Ribbon Reef arras and December is mid summer here so very warm water and beautiful conditions BUT also monsoon season and although rarely get cancelled trips due to cyclones we can get strong winds.

Of the 2 time frames personally would go as late in June as you can.

Either PM me here or direct at info@aquaprodive.com and will help out with the general tourism info, recommendations etc.

We are looking at doing a 5 to 7 night trip with Mike Ball out of Cairns in 2023. We can do either mid-June through July or Late December early Jan (2024). We are looking for suggestions to help decide which timeframe to go. Is snorkeling with the dwarf minke whales worth picking that season? Do the dive trips going for the whales do less dives because of the whales?

We would also like to do some general tourism in Australia while we are there. Any suggestions on what we could do while we are there? Is there plenty to do out of Cairns? It looks like flights connect through Brisbane, thoughts on tourism there? Would we want to fly further south to Melbourne or Sydney?

Here is a couple of links for the East Coast of Australia, the West Coast has some impressive diving so does the Southern Shoreline & Ocean though past Cairns upto & around the Northern Territory the diving is very restrictive if at all due to crocs, its more for commercial or work diving in along the Northern reaches of Australia on both sides (I saw they pulled another 5m croc out of the water in Darwin just days ago). You'll find links to shops or dive stores by researching online, FB searches or talking to travel companies that specifically cater to diving holidays. There is no perfect time to dive, summer is warmer though you will encounter stingers or cyclones, winter is cooler and storms prevail though there tends to be a more consistent visibility increase. The more you dive the better the chances you'll encounter the perfect day & meet with underwater critters. I'm still yet to see a hammerhead in its natural environment, one day.....!

These links are purely for the Great Barrier Reef top to bottom including study, employment, research which are Federally Funded. I'm sure regardless of the Operator or Dive Shop you use you will have good & mediocre experiences though half the fun is in the exploring which includes the planning & you don't need to be pounded by people who had a perfect dive on a perfect day that may not match your expectations or set your expectations to high & if you don't get to see it all then you have an excuse to return someday. :)

You can find detailed maps of zoning for the Great Barrier Reef by searching the GBRMPA site (Green Zones are no fishing. Yellow Zones are research no go zones rods, reals & gear including Scuba, Spearfishing needs to be stowed when passing through them). I'd say look at the maps & then find an operator though not all reefs have charter experience going to them.

The only forum specifically catering for diving in Australia across the whole continent run for locals and tourists shut a few years ago

Happy Diving, I hope you encounter what your planning to see.
Cheers John

OH there is still one dive mag in Australia though it doesn't print any longer they only have an online subscription, hope this helps.

Good to know about Divelog... It struck me as odd we don't have any Aus specific dive magazines - there's a couple in the UK, and even as a Brit I think it's fair to say that there's a bit more diving to be had downunder!

Back
Top Bottom