So we're normalizing relations with Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is full of Canadians and Brits so you will not understand the language or any of the customs.

If Canadians can live without snow & Brit.s can live without tea time, we'll deal.

Richard.:D

Food was terrible and even though my trip was a number of years ago, I've neither heard nor read of any improvements.

It shouldn't be overlooked that there is active sex trade there and along with that comes scams, stings and stds with, according to the news, virulent mutated strains of HIV. Anyone so inclined to "fall in love" should remember to deligently dress for the conditions.

Still it was a beautiful island and I'm tempted to return. Fortunately, I'm not a foodie so as long as I can avoid food poisoning, I probably won't starve either.Perhaps lifted embargoes could assist in food improvement, but I'm not convinced that was the only problem in that regard.

Further, if it is so "safe" there, can't help but wonder why there were armed guards all over the property every night. In more recent times than my own experience, my brother-in-law had his wallet "walk off" whilst playing a round of golf. He'd originally had it with him in his bag on the golf cart.

And much more recently, friends who had rented a car were involved in what definitely appeared to be deliberately staged accident. They were forced to pay exhorbitant fines, one spent the night in jail and I can't remember all the details but seems to me there was trouble upon returning the rental vehicle too.

Speaking of the active sex trade in Cuba, there was a series of newspaper articles in the Toronto Sun regarding that in the late 1990's, and then a tv news segment. Apparently some of the locals, prostitutes and otherwise, were trying to get infected with HIV to get into the hospice, which was apparently like a 5 star hotel. They interviewed some of them that were in the sex trade and some that were in the hospice, and they believed that living well and then dying in the hospice was a better life for them. It was profoundly sad.

I see Jill Heinerth is going down to do some filming in the caves there with National Geographic, so that would be another draw for divers if they're opened up to the public.

Don't bother with diving Varadero, (Coral Beach)...worse than Ocho Rios. Bay of Pigs isn't much better.
Beautiful beaches, Horrible food, service is either dismal or great, depending on who you encounter. Havana is worth a visit for sure.

Many in my family have been trying to get me to travel to Cuba for quite some time. I'm planning on doing the trip but also want to get some diving in too. Maybe next year so I'll have to start doing some research and figure out the logistics. I'm sure I'm going to have to meet a whole slew of relatives in Cuba for the first time.

Anyone so inclined to "fall in love" should remember to deligently dress for the conditions.
I have a few family members that traveled there and it nearly cost them their marriages. My wife will not let me travel there alone under any circumstances. :depressed:

I am going July 2016 as part of an educationl trip, 2 days on land and then 7 on a live a board. Presently there is a spot for one female but all the deposits are not in. The cost is approximately 5,000 and air. contact me at dive@divingdivas.com if you want more details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom