socorros trip question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

backpacking diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone--

I've been reading over all the threads on the Socorros-- am planning a trip for Nov/Dec-- and had 2 questions not answered yet on the forum (that I've seen). One is the Solmar seems to separate its divers into two groups... do the Rocio del Mar and Nautilus do that too, does anyone know? That's how they do it at Cocos and I loved it... but last liveaboard I was on shoved 28 of us into one boat and we spent more time loading & unloading than in the water!

Also, some sites say there's a chance of oceanic whitetips in the Socorros-- anyone seen those? Is there a best time to see them? They're on my lifetime shark bucket-list!

Thanks for any feedback!

I imagine the Nautilus does (no personal experience) but the RM does. As to Oceanic white tips. There use to be some talk about sightings off Roca Partida but I have not heard anything more in quite a few years. There are some sightings of tigers now and then.

I've only been on the Sea Escape on my trips to the Socorros but have never seen, or even heard of, oceanic white tips being seen

Solmar V actually has 3 pangas that fit 8 divers, plus an instructor and the driver. If the main boat is full (all 22 spots sold), which it usually is, you use all three. On a few sites you exit from the big boat, but came up whenever you wanted to. You either found the big boat or the pangas were circling and they found you.
Other than during some high swells, back rolls off the pangas were easy and re-loading was also easy. We were there in late Feb-March. No Oceanic white tips but got to dive with mom humpback and her baby.

Rob

Solmar V actually has 3 pangas that fit 8 divers, plus an instructor and the driver. If the main boat is full (all 22 spots sold), which it usually is, you use all three. On a few sites you exit from the big boat, but came up whenever you wanted to. You either found the big boat or the pangas were circling and they found you.
Other than during some high swells, back rolls off the pangas were easy and re-loading was also easy. We were there in late Feb-March. No Oceanic white tips but got to dive with mom humpback and her baby.

Rob

When did they start using 3 pongas? Last trips I did (few years ago) they only used (and carried) two pongas.

Whoa...what a brain cramp! Confused two trips...not even in the same hemisphere. My apologies. Two pangas, 11 divers, 1, instructor, 1 driver and once in a while the videographer. Thanks, Augustus for reminding me that I'm old and confused! Just don't tell my students.
Backpacking diver, sorry for the confusion. It's a great trip, amazing in fact, despite just two pangas.

Rob

Uh, just to confuse things further regarding Solmar V...

I just returned from a trip in early May and these were the numbers: 22 divers, 2 Pangas, 3 dive groups -- each with a DM who guided their respective groups. Two groups had 7 divers, the third had 8. The procedure was to assign a full group to each Panga and split the third group of eight (with 4 on each Panga). Each group would drop in separately with their DM and had the opportunity to be the "first" in on a rotating basis over the course of the trip. All very well organized and democratic with no confusion. You knew your Panga, you knew your group.

This was (at least) my 10th Liveaboard and definitely the best boat I've ever been on. Top notch operation in all regards. I just wish I had more $$$ to repeat the experience more often. Roca Partida is an iconic dive destination that should NOT be missed. The other Islands were also quite memorable. Big water, big sealife.

DO IT!

No confusion, exactly as we did in February. When I said 11 divers, I meant on each panga. The two pangas coordinated so that the 3rd group split between the two went in together. After reading the other post about the Aggressor sinking, I also should point out that we did a safety briefing and a practice "fire drill" so we had to make our way to the life preservers, put them on, and wait for instructions. Granted it wasn't at night and while listing 40 degrees, but I am glad we did it.
Agreed that Roca Partida was something special.

Rob

I was in exactly the same situation, albeit for 2015. But in my case seeing Hammerheads was more important than Humpbacks and Dora of RdM told me that May is the better month for it. I also asked about diving conditions and she told me that early May (which is when I am going) would be no problem for experienced divers and that they seldom had undivable rough seas before mid-June.

Back
Top Bottom