Sodwana pics - Apr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
We went diving in Sodwana Bay the past weekend and I thought I'd share some pics.

Two Halgerda wasinensis nudibranchs engaged in the Na'vi act of Tsahaylu
2010-04-17_09-32-54_1.jpg

Black-blotched Porcupinefish tucked under a rock
2010-04-17_09-40-36_1.jpg

Thysanozoon species of flatworm
2010-04-17_09-47-19_1.jpg

Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphins
2010-04-17_12-52-56_1.jpg

Egg ribbon of, what I'm assuming would be Hexabranchus sanguineus
2010-04-17_09-54-34_1.jpg

Leaf Scorpionfish
2010-04-17_13-45-12_1.jpg

Common Bluestripe Snapper, Dory Snapper, Pinecone Soldierfish, Striped Large-eye Bream, Chocolatedip Chromis and Boomerang Triggerfish
2010-04-17_13-38-07_1.jpg

Whip Coral
2010-04-17_13-30-04_1.jpg

Ceratosoma trilobatum
2010-04-17_13-55-36_1.jpg

Peacock Mantis Shrimp
2010-04-18_09-35-52_1.jpg

The next three pics freaks me out a bit. We saw a beautiful (and my first) Tiger Shark early on in the dive. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of it before it was gone. On the safety stop this Remora came to pay us a visit. We reckoned the shark might still be in the vicinity but we never saw it again.

This is a fairly poor shot of the Remora
2010-04-18_09-50-01a_1.jpg

So I tried enhancing it a bit... when I noticed a dark shape in the top right corner.
2010-04-18_09-50-01b_1.jpg

So I overdid the contrast enhancement and sure enough, there it is!
2010-04-18_09-50-01c_1.jpg

Awesome pics, the Scorpion fish is fantastic, dont think ive ever seen one of them.

Hows Sodwana im planning a trip in July, who did you dive with?

Nice pics Deefstes! Are you going to the Sodwana bay shootout next month?

That last Tiger shot is creepy! Where there's smoke there's fire... and where there's a Remora...

Awesome pics, the Scorpion fish is fantastic, dont think ive ever seen one of them.

Hows Sodwana im planning a trip in July, who did you dive with?
Sodwana is awesome as always but this weekend was particularly good. It was nippy, rainy and windy here in Jo'burg but Sodwana was champagne. No wind, no current, no waves, no surge, 30+ visibility. Just lovely.

We usually dive with Triton Dive Charters. They've got amazing expertise and knowledge of the reefs. Their accommodation is very comfortable and their prices are quite good as well. They've recently spent a fair amount of effort and money revamping their facilities and everything looked quite nice this weekend.

We're going back in mid May and end of May again. I'm still trying to see if we could manage another trip in mid June. We've dived there in July and it certainly is one of the more pleasant places in South Africa to be in the middle of winter.

Nice pics Deefstes! Are you going to the Sodwana bay shootout next month?
Yes, that is the plan. I haven't been to any of the previous shootouts so I'm quite keen to go do this one - especially now that I'm Nitrox certed:D

wat type of setup did u use for those awesum shots
Just a nice old FujiFilm F30 with an underwater casing. I'd love to get strobes and stuff but that'll have to wait until I feel particularly wealthy.

Yes, that is the plan.

Great! I'll see you there! It'll be my first time too.

Who will you be diving with?

PM Sent. Looking forward to meeting up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom