Soft Weights Confiscated by Airline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll have to agree with Seacaigh. In Thailand divers didn't rent weights, nor the Bahamas, and I definitely didn't pay for weights in Florida or Hawaii when I traveled for those trips. I've never seen any place (albeit my experience is limited) that actually made people pay for weights.

I'll have to agree with Seacaigh. In Thailand divers didn't rent weights, nor the Bahamas, and I definitely didn't pay for weights in Florida or Hawaii when I traveled for those trips. I've never seen any place (albeit my experience is limited) that actually made people pay for weights.

I guess it varies a lot. Seems a large % of LDS websites I've checked out over the last 6 years (in N. FL and SC for sure, but also S. FL and elsewhere) list all the stuff you can rent. Weights are usually listed. Maybe this refers to renting them for shore dives and not the all-inclusive price of equipment/tanks, etc. for a charter?

I guess it varies a lot. Seems a large % of LDS websites I've checked out over the last 6 years (in N. FL and SC for sure, but also S. FL and elsewhere) list all the stuff you can rent. Weights are usually listed. Maybe this refers to renting them for shore dives and not the all-inclusive price of equipment/tanks, etc. for a charter?
Every one of the shops I have been to list a rental price for weights. Not a single one has ever actually charged that price though. I suspect if all I wanted was weights they probably would but when I've traveled I've picked up tanks (and weights) for shore dives or I've booked a charter, both of which always give me weights for free.

My wife uses ankle weights but they've never caused us any problems. Her tweezers did once, as did her eyelash curler...

And you should have seen them when we flew to Curacao 2 days after I had an Octreoscan (necessary for my cancer). You'd think they'd never seen a person who was emitting gamma rays before.

Like Jim, I find the TSA amusing. I have been a martial artist for over 40 years. I hold Dan ranks in Tae Kwon Do, Aikido and Kenjutsu. And they're confiscating her eyelash curler...

I always tell this one. I had some fishing lures and two 1 1/2 foot long clothesline ropes (to practise my knots) in my carry-on. Airport security made me put the lures in a checked bag, Later, Greyhound Bus security made me do the same with the ropes. So I could've strangled somebody on the plane and hooked someone to death on the bus.

I was diving S. CA last summer and I did a shore dive at La Jolla. They charged me for weights, and a fill at a premium price.

In FL Ops typically charge $80 for a 2 tank dive $65 without tanks and weight.

In CA on most boats there are no tanks. We have fun every year finding yet a second shop just to rent tanks/weight.

I'm not sure where you have been diving but here in the US I get charged for the luxury of breathing UW (tanks) and the ability to sink (weight)!

I was diving S. CA last summer and I did a shore dive at La Jolla. They charged me for weights, and a fill at a premium price.

In FL Ops typically charge $80 for a 2 tank dive $65 without tanks and weight.

In CA on most boats there are no tanks. We have fun every year finding yet a second shop just to rent tanks/weight.

I'm not sure where you have been diving but here in the US I get charged for the luxury of breathing UW (tanks) and the ability to sink (weight)!

You must've gone to OE because the shop I go to will rent you as many tanks as you want/need (already filled with air) and will ASK if you want to take some weights with you. Not just give them to you as part of the package or whatever but will ask if you want weights.

As many times as I have been in the shop at North County Scuba Center I have never seen someone charged for weights unless that was all they were renting.

Heck the owner sold a lady a weight belt once (like 15$ or so I think) and let her "rent" hard weights for free for a week.

Must've just gone to the wrong shop around here in the SoCal area....

Yes, I've often seen LP selling weight belts for 15cents and weight, yeah that's free right? Weight is often thrown into the price of tanks, but I don't see it for free. My buddy drove to CA and forgot his weights or did not bring enough, but he paid for just weight.

Thanks for the input on that guys. Now I know that if and when I fly to the tropics for another dive week I'll be sure to ask specifically if weights are included before I pack mine.
Must make sure they have wts. that fit my pouch belt.

Last edited:
Awesome to see a thread fill up with so much useful information and personal recounts as this one has :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom