Sola 600/1200 lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those look pretty good.

Can you share exif info on those?

Am able to get decent shots with my Inon LE550W but I have to set ISO around 200 to 400 to get a shutter speed of about 350 and up. Since I have a strobe already, I use the LE550W as a focus light mostly.

I've got a Sola 600, the version with only one setting for Red. Just got it wet for the first time on the Belize Aggressor III about a month ago (can't believe it's been that long ago already...)

Used it with my new e-pl1 setup and LOVE it, both the new rig and the light.

I was the envy of the boat with the Sola 600. That red light feature is fantastic. If you've done night diving with Tarpon around you know how they love to follow you and attack the poor varmints in your white light beam from over your shoulder, generally scaring the hell out of you in the process. Using the red light, I had no such issues. It did still spook some critters but others were totally unaware of it or me. Squid, octopus and crustations most notably were unaware. At 600 lumens white light it's bright enough to help fill in spots for aiding the flash and for video during the day. For night dives in clear water 600 is FAR too much. The red light is perfect and I don't see any need to have that adjustable. Was fine and when using a strobe you can't tell in stills that the red light is on at all. I used red light exclusively and a separate 600 lumen hand held light with tight beam pattern but big spill area for long reach critter spotting.

The one dive that I forgot to pop the damn flash before I dropped in (which means no f'ing strobe... :furious: ) I tried to use the Sola instead for stills without much luck. It helps fill in when used with a strobe but I think you'd need more to do anything other than macro where you're lighting a very small area very close to your housing.

How is the battery life on the solas ?

Being that you can't swap out batteries was a concern on a liveaboard doing mulitple dives and little time to recharge the built-in batteries.

Is it a real concern or in practice the light's batteries are able to keep up with the demands of the multiple diving done on live aboards?

Am still very interested in the sola 600 - just wondering about the battery life.

How is the battery life on the solas ?

Being that you can't swap out batteries was a concern on a liveaboard doing mulitple dives and little time to recharge the built-in batteries.

Is it a real concern or in practice the light's batteries are able to keep up with the demands of the multiple diving done on live aboards?

Am still very interested in the sola 600 - just wondering about the battery life.
If you are doing more than 3 dives per day or have short intervals, you should get two lights. I know it is a pain dollar wise but if you are using them at higher power you will run out after two dives and it might take an hour and a half to charge it back up again. You can partially charge them of course but I don't think that is good for Li batteries.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom