Soliciting Feedback on Dive Insurance; DAN or Dive Assure & Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottsfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've had DAN dive insurance for 3 years and its coming up for renewal. But after a bad experience this year with DAN Travel Insurance through Genarali, they denied a claim for a destroyed luggage citing a small technicality to deny the claim. Its seemed they were going to find the littlest detail to deny an OBVIOUSLY covered luggage.
This has shaken my confidence in DAN and their Underwriters. So before renewing my annual membership I wanted to explore other options to see whats out there.

What all do you guys have for dive insurance and why?

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott

I've had DAN dive insurance for 3 years and its coming up for renewal. But after a bad experience this year with DAN Travel Insurance through Genarali, they denied a claim for a destroyed luggage citing a small technicality to deny the claim. Its seemed they were going to find the littlest detail to deny an OBVIOUSLY covered luggage.
This has shaken my confidence in DAN and their Underwriters. So before renewing my annual membership I wanted to explore other options to see whats out there.

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott
I think DAN is OK, especially their accident insurance; it is the travel insurance from Generali that is the problem. I hope DAN changes underwriters for its travel insurance.
Get the DAN enhanced accident insurance, and add a travel policy to it from someone other than DAN.
The popular options appear to be Dive Assure, World Nomads, Travel Guard, and TravelEx. The first-mentioned is only valid OUT of the US.

I use DAN for Dive insurance but Travel Guard for trip insurance. Travel Guard has been fussy on documentation, but no more than other companies.

I maintain DAN dive accident insurance because they are very good. I had a few friends needing to claim and it was good. One concurrently worked with Dive Assure for dive accident/medical and they were not nearly as good.

I maintain Dive Assure for dive travel insurance. I’ve had to claim and it was not that difficult. Also, if you compare their coverage, it is more encompassing and they also have liveaboard riders along with more covered issues. I was using them pre-pandemic and as an example, they had a pandemic clause for coverage and DAN didn’t at the time. It has been a while since I’ve compared the fine print side by side but even in 2021, it was still the case.

Also related, please read my post about DAN vs Dive Assure for travel insurance as well as non-diving medical coverage options. You may find it helpful:

The main difference is where in the world their coverage will apply for you and whether you are getting pro policy coverages. After much research I stayed with DAN for my family and my dive shop. As far as travel insurance coverage, I had a trip to Palu that got cancelled due to the air lines stopping all flights out of Palau. When I made the claim, they wanted a written statement from the airline. I contacted the airline and was told they don't provide that information. End of my claim. You MUST READ all of the fine print before you purchase, they all have so many exclusions and your need for documents.

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott
Hi, I've been doing some deep diving into travel /dive insurance (pun intended) the legaleez and fine print is very convoluted and I found most plans don't relly benefit scube divers, who then end up buying seperate scuba insurance. The BEST option by far I have found is the Patriot Multi trip plan from IMG. It is an Annual plan (for 2 or m ore trips a year, that's the way to go) and covers all trips in a year. It has some trip interuption coverage etc. but the main focus is medical. (up to 1Million $) The thing I found unique is that it covers scuba to 50 meters as part of the general coverage. Most travel plans exclude scuba, or limit coverage to $10k-$15k, or have other limits like 10 meter max or diving with a master requirement. I'm 61 years old and make 4-6 month long trips a year, and my fee is $200 all in. Rose at IMG was extremely helpful in getting the details and confirming coverage. Rose.Wilson@imglobal.com

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott
what was the technicality

Hi, I've been doing some deep diving into travel /dive insurance (pun intended) the legaleez and fine print is very convoluted and I found most plans don't relly benefit scube divers, who then end up buying seperate scuba insurance. The BEST option by far I have found is the Patriot Multi trip plan from IMG. It is an Annual plan (for 2 or m ore trips a year, that's the way to go) and covers all trips in a year. It has some trip interuption coverage etc. but the main focus is medical. (up to 1Million $) The thing I found unique is that it covers scuba to 50 meters as part of the general coverage. Most travel plans exclude scuba, or limit coverage to $10k-$15k, or have other limits like 10 meter max or diving with a master requirement. I'm 61 years old and make 4-6 month long trips a year, and my fee is $200 all in. Rose at IMG was extremely helpful in getting the details and confirming coverage. Rose.Wilson@imglobal.com
Thanks for the share. I looked at the IMG Patriot Multi Trip Plan. I'm not seeing openly stated scuba dive as coverage. They did have an additional $85 adventure sports on top of the 200 premium. You didn't have to get that?

Back
Top Bottom