Solitary Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
The opportunity for disaster is just unnecessarily elevated to dive with an unattended boat dude! I bet you could find a few die hard buddies who would be psyched to dive with you from your boat.

--Matt

Again, like the choices we make in diving spots and times, it's all a matter of risk assessment. I wouldn't leave a boat unattended in hazardous spots or adverse conditions, but under decent conditions it's very safe and you don't have to be a 'die-hard.' ( Calm day...100 feet offshore of an island....slack or low current...)

I wouldn't leave a boat unattended at a spot like the Poling either, unless maybe it was tied to a mooring, not at anchor.

I consider the risk of losing my boat to be a comparitively minumim risk compared to other ( health ) risks we might take diving, the insurance company can take care of a boat ( although I would go to great efforts to be careful that does not have to happen even though I might like to get a new boat.) :wink:

Funny, this sounds like the same old discussion as solo diving - some say don't do it AT ALL...others would say it's ok under the right conditions ( shallow, safe spots, etc.)

I'm with the second camp....you can do most anything you want as long as you use your head and stay within safe and sane guidelines.

John C.

jchaplain:
I wouldn't leave a boat unattended at a spot like the Poling either, unless maybe it was tied to a mooring, not at anchor.
Even if your boat doesn't go adrift, there is always the possibility that YOU will. Getting blown off a wreck is one thing when you have good signalling devices and a surface support crew to come pick up you. OTOH, even if you can see your boat upcurrent when you surface, it doesn't do you much good if the current is stronger than what you can swim against, even when stripped down to fins and wetsuit.

Charlie99:
Even if your boat doesn't go adrift, there is always the possibility that YOU will. Getting blown off a wreck is one thing when you have good signalling devices and a surface support crew to come pick up you. OTOH, even if you can see your boat upcurrent when you surface, it doesn't do you much good if the current is stronger than what you can swim against, even when stripped down to fins and wetsuit.

Ummm....like I said..under the right conditions. In fact, maybe people shouldn't do shore dives for the same reason...maybe the current will take you out to sea and if there is no-one there on the shore to support or watch for you..then you could have big problems!

I know that diving off shore at the mouth of the Merrimack River at tide change ( with the currents there...) well.... that would be stupid.....lol.....does that mean that all shore diving is too dangerous?

Is kayak diving too dangerous? Could be at times....and at places....but not always of course.

The key is....
UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS....always....from boat or shore, solo or with buddies, deep or shallow.

John C.

jchaplain:
Ummm....like I said..under the right conditions.

Is kayak diving too dangerous? Could be at times....and at places....but not always of course.

The key is....
UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS
Agreed. I was just pointing out that it isn't just as simple as making sure the boat is secure.

I don't mean to come across are sermonizing or preachy. I've done dead boat dives myself. Strangely, one of them was a commercial charter where the Capt, the mate, and me (the only customer) all went for a dive on the Adolphus Busch in the southern Keys. Then we did a "kayak" style dive. I call it a kayak style, because after doing an out and back pattern at a specific depth on a slope, we put a lift bag on the anchor and treating the 6 pack like a little kayak, hauled the boat along with us for the rest of the dive!

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

jchaplain:
Again, like the choices we make in diving spots and times, it's all a matter of risk assessment. I wouldn't leave a boat unattended in hazardous spots or adverse conditions, but under decent conditions it's very safe and you don't have to be a 'die-hard.' ( Calm day...100 feet offshore of an island....slack or low current...)

I consider the risk of losing my boat to be a comparitively minumim risk compared to other ( health ) risks we might take diving, the insurance company can take care of a boat ( although I would go to great efforts to be careful that does not have to happen even though I might like to get a new boat.) :wink:

Funny, this sounds like the same old discussion as solo diving - some say don't do it AT ALL...others would say it's ok under the right conditions ( shallow, safe spots, etc.)

I'm with the second camp....you can do most anything you want as long as you use your head and stay within safe and sane guidelines.

John C.

I had a similar rationalization when I was doing it too. Although I will admit I never heard anyone say it's OK (to leave the boat unattended) under the right conditions. I have done the Poling many times at night with no one aboard tied to the mooring. When on the U853 I was also moored. Chances are....these are well maintained moorings and your boat will be just fine.

So....if you're going to do it....as perhaps you already are I would suggest you throw the hook then make sure it's wedged in good. If you are going down a mooring make sure the line/chain/shackles all look good, etc. When I did the Poling at night I would tie a line to one of my bow cleats and bring it down with me to tie off to the suspended buoy holding up the chain as an extra precaution. You would be crazy not to have a sound and visual surface device like a whistle and safety sausage.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom