Solmar V new years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrKevbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am set to do the Socorrow islands on the Solmar V this New Years trip. Anyone with personal experience or helpfull advise would be greatly appreciated.I find that independent advise can be very helpful. If any one has done this in Dec/Jan, I would be most interested in what they thought of the water temp and wetsuit requirements. I usually dive warm water with a 1 mm or I have a 3mm Hendeson instadry. If I add a 3mm jacket and hood to the 3 mill will I be a happy camper or a shivering bluefish? I generally dont chill easy, but it can happen to any of us.The site talks about temp, but nothing specific on that time of year. I had the impression it should run in the mid to low 70's

I did the Solmar V last year at the end of April. The water temperature at the surface was about 78 degrees. It was about 63 degrees at 80 feet. I wore a Bare 3mm wetsuit and also a 3mm hooded vest. Most of the other divers were wearing 5mm wetsuits, with hoods or beanies. I was comfortable on all of the dives. I like the hooded vest because it spares you the shock of water down your back.

I really liked this trip and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Hope you have a good time.

El Ridgeo,

Thanks for the imput. I have a 3mm instadry suit that I really like. I am going to add to it a Henderson 3mm core warmer and I always wear a beenie. That should keep me warm. I dont chill easily. I called Solmar in California Monday and they were grabbing thier harddrives and evacuating the building because of the wildfires that are toating the state. She did say that the water is a little warmer in December than the spring. Really looking forward to the trip. Since this is mainly a BIG animal trip, Do you think I need to bring a strobe for my camera. I find that after a few feet of water the strobe does very little. Great for macro, but for wide angel I find its almost better to use a red filter then color correct on the computer. I mainly do Video and i have video lights but the camera also takes great stills, and I am trying to keep the load relatively light.

DrKevbo

I just booked a trip on the Solmar V today for next November/December to the Revillagigedos Islands also, so I am curious to hear what the boat is like. It looks nice. We live on Lake Superior, so most any place is warm by comparison. :cheers:

Hopefully you will give a report of your adventure.

Steve

El Ridgeo,

Thanks for the imput. I have a 3mm instadry suit that I really like. I am going to add to it a Henderson 3mm core warmer and I always wear a beenie. That should keep me warm. I dont chill easily. I called Solmar in California Monday and they were grabbing thier harddrives and evacuating the building because of the wildfires that are toating the state. She did say that the water is a little warmer in December than the spring. Really looking forward to the trip. Since this is mainly a BIG animal trip, Do you think I need to bring a strobe for my camera. I find that after a few feet of water the strobe does very little. Great for macro, but for wide angel I find its almost better to use a red filter then color correct on the computer. I mainly do Video and i have video lights but the camera also takes great stills, and I am trying to keep the load relatively light.

DrKevbo

Sorry, but I'm not a photographer in any way, shape or form. You might want to ask your question on the photography forum.

El Ridgeo,

DrKevbo

I would leave the lights for the video rig at home. I think you are probably going to be more that 10' away from anything you tape and lights will not reach father. The red filter will work better.
As far as taking a separate still camera with strobes, don't know. I haven't been on this trip yet but from everything I have read/other's reports, etc. it looks like incredible blue water diving, and not too much reef/macro stuff to photograph. Maybe I am wrong but I think I would just stick to video for that trip.

robint

Since this is mainly a BIG animal trip, Do you think I need to bring a strobe for my camera. I find that after a few feet of water the strobe does very little. Great for macro, but for wide angel I find its almost better to use a red filter then color correct on the computer. I mainly do Video and i have video lights but the camera also takes great stills, and I am trying to keep the load relatively light.
DrKevbo

Hi DrKevbo,

I've been to Socorro three times aboard the Solmar V and have two more trips scheduled for 2008...one in January and a photo workshop with Marty Snyderman in April. Last January is when the crew and passengers of Solmar V got video of five giant mantas that stuck around at "The Boiler" for hours! There is video of this on YouTube.com. Hopefully you'll have the same kind of experience!

To answer your question about the strobe for your still camera, this would depend on what kind of camera and lenses you have. If you plan to shoot mantas bring a VERY wide angle lens, such as a fisheye. If you don't have a wide angle lens then you'll have little need for a strobe unless you're doing macro. At dive sites like Cabo Pearce, The Aquarium, and el Fondeadero you may have the opportunity to do macro or closeup, but the BIG ANIMALS is what Socorro is all about.

On the other hand, this area is VERY remote and its nice to have backup in the event your video system fails (knock on wood, but I see it happen on almost every trip). So you might want to arm yourself with a strobe anyway. This place is magical so you don't want to miss any shots.

For every trip I've done there I've brought a 5mm wetsuit and have never been cold. I was there last December and the water was warmer than I've ever seen it before but this was unusual. I would recommend you call the Solmar V office and ask them specifically what the water temp was on the previous trips.

Hope this helps!

Bonnie

Bonnie,

Thanx, that is VERY helpful. I called Solmar about wetsuits, and they were helpful, but didnt want to give specifics since people and conditions differ. So Ill be prepared with a 3mm full suit with a 3mm core warmer. Ive gone ahead and ordered a new strobe for the trip. No one ever mentioned that there will be macro oppurtunities. Also, I am shooting a wide angel Inon with a
dome attachment. this gives well over 100 degrees. So bring on the mantas. I have done the Hawaii big Island night manta feeding. We were blessed with 15 rays including "Big Bertha".
It looks like the moral to the story is to be prepared for anything. Really looking forward to this trip. I think this trip could become an annual event. May see you there sometime.

Take a deep breath
Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom