Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-

OOps, sorry about the little purple print guys, I'll figure out how to quote and answer posts some day!
Neil

OK read it all even the shouting am wondering whether more than one grown up is going to respond but then why bother.

Raffles

Raffles sez "why bother?"
Bingo!
Rick

Hey there guys. Great discussion on everyone's part. Here's my two cents:

As a recreational and technical diving instructor as well as an avid solo diver, I tend to agree with many 'sides' and arguments. The fact of the matter is that if a diver feels confident with his/her ability, there isn't a scuba police force I am aware of. If I choose to dive, but can't find anyone on short notice to hit the water with, why should I have to suffer. I dive with plenty of redundancy in dive spots I've been to hundreds of times etc etc

It's a conscious choice that can be made by anyone whom follows certain rules. Experience, maturity, planning, quality gear and careful execution of the dive plan are a must.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Hey Nitrox, get in contact with him yourself. Give me an e-mail address and I'll tell you his web site and e-mail, I would prefer not to post it. I don't doubt what he says, he's a very dangerous man. No I know he was with the SAS because of the Falklands. He's got two bullet holes in his thighs from there. Great guy, you should get in touch with him. He's always up for talking with people from his own country. What part of the military were you with? I'm fascinated with the SAS and the Royal Marines. He said the Royal Marines are tough as nails too. Anyways, see you around.

dont get me wrong im not saying he wasnt but personally i would be wary of anyone who bragged about it as the sas are a very hush hush unit and its not really the sort of thing you just pop into idle chat is it!!! there is such a thing as the official secrets act and as an ex sas trooper you would be heavilly under it, like i say ive worked along side them and believe me there capable of some pretty nasty stuff, how many men do you know that speak 3or 4 languages fluently such as ancient dialect arabic, thai, malay, swahilli ??? like i say i am not saying he wasnt, merely saying i would take it with a big pinch of salt having an extensive military background myself!!!.

That sounds like him. He speaks 4 languages, has 2 degrees in engineering, was the British champion in Karate and Judo, black belts in both as well as instructors in both. He doesn't brag about the sas, but he has told me a little about it. We mainly talk diving because he's my primary instructor...one hell of an instructor too. I found his name under Platinum Pro divers. He's an IT for a Sheriff's Department right now.

Back
Top Bottom