Solo.. Or No Solo?

Would you ever be tempted to dive solo?...

• hell no! I'd never do that...

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Not sure, but I dont feel comfortable with the idea.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • I might be tempted if there was a special reason.

Votes: 69 27.5%
  • No worries! Just try and stop me!

Votes: 137 54.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whilst I can understand Cancun Mark's point of view (see earlier posts), I still disagree for the following reasons which are not intended to be flippant but lets cut to the chase...

1) the users on scubaboard are not stupid and can read.
2) people are quite able to look on any open forum area on here.
3) as i said before, if you've got a point to make, make it, explain it and if you think
you're in the right then it's upto you to persuade people to your point of view.

Divermark2003:
It seems that one has to look at the situation the the diver is diving into.
OK, lets do that... :D
Divermark2003:
Overhead obstruction = don't do it!
What do you mean by overhead? How about the unseen monofilament fishing line you swim under?
Divermark2003:
Diving Deep = don't do it.
What do you consider deep? Hmmm - how tall are you? can you drown in 3m (10') of water?
Divermark2003:
Depth of around 30ft or less = shouldn't be a problem.
Right. Shouldn't be a problem. Until you meet Mr Monofilament. How about Mr Ghost Net?
Divermark2003:
Besides what buddy wants to hover around while you check your buoyancy, practice breathing, and or zero in your weight?
I've offered and followed through with this. I consider it good practice for me and an investment in a possible future dive buddy.

OK - many of you know from previous posts that I'm an avid solo diver. My rational is that if I want to dive and don't find a buddy, I'm diving anyhow. I just wanted to point out that if you are considering solo diving, you should also consider and be willing to accept the additional risks of doing so. There are situations you can get yourself into that you cannot get yourself out of!

For those of you who say solo diving is better than diving with a less than competant buddy - how about offering to do some ho-hum vanilla skills dives? Good practice for you and maybe if you can influence them to be safer divers and better buddies, you can cultivate a reliable buddy for future dives?

Snowbear:
OK, lets do that... :D What do you mean by overhead? How about the unseen monofilament fishing line you swim under? What do you consider deep? Hmmm - how tall are you? can you drown in 3m (10') of water? Right. Shouldn't be a problem. Until you meet Mr Monofilament. How about Mr Ghost Net? I've offered and followed through with this. I consider it good practice for me and an investment in a possible future dive buddy.

OK - many of you know from previous posts that I'm an avid solo diver. My rational is that if I want to dive and don't find a buddy, I'm diving anyhow. I just wanted to point out that if you are considering solo diving, you should also consider and be willing to accept the additional risks of doing so. There are situations you can get yourself into that you cannot get yourself out of!

For those of you who say solo diving is better than diving with a less than competant buddy - how about offering to do some ho-hum vanilla skills dives? Good practice for you and maybe if you can influence them to be safer divers and better buddies, you can cultivate a reliable buddy for future dives?

I totally agree in your assesment that if one is going to do it, that they know and assume the risks. Your points are well taken, however, you seemed to have missed the part where I said that I would only do it in my local quarry. NO FISHING ALLOWED, very controlled area.

Sure I can drown in 3m of water, I can also drown in the bath tub if not careful :)

And by deep i mean any depth at which a emergency assent is relatively safe.

So lets see, cave diving at 30+ft depths, in a area where there are public hazards and potential net and fillament problems? NOW THATS JUST STUPID!! :)

Snowbear:
For those of you who say solo diving is better than diving with a less-than-competent buddy - how about offering to do some ho-hum vanilla skills dives? Good practice for you and maybe if you can influence them to be safer divers and better buddies, you can cultivate a reliable buddy for future dives?
Good advice, Snowbear. I recently helped a new diver acclimate to our colder Oregon waters. He's a young Marine reservist who learned to dive in Guantanamo while he was posted there--he was a bit uncertain about cold water and low viz. In terms of holding position and communicating, he made the best buddy I've had in two years of diving (still a newbie myself down there).

Was it this thread where the idea of really teaching buddy skills was introduced? I think a separate Buddy Skills course would be a real plus for the certifying agencies. Although I'm sure it varies with instructor, I haven't seen OW courses drilling and verifying these skills.

_bryan

eponym:
Good advice, Snowbear. I recently helped a new diver acclimate to our colder Oregon waters. He's a young Marine reservist who learned to dive in Guantanamo while he was posted there--he was a bit uncertain about cold water and low viz. In terms of holding position and communicating, he made the best buddy I've had in two years of diving (still a newbie myself down there).

Was it this thread where the idea of really teaching buddy skills was introduced? I think a separate Buddy Skills course would be a real plus for the certifying agencies. Although I'm sure it varies with instructor, I haven't seen OW courses drilling and verifying these skills.

_bryan

A buddy course sounds like a great idea. It may be me but I've noticed a trend lately. Many times when diving i've noticed that there seems to be an everyone for themselves attitude. Don't misunderstand me, I think diving with a Buddy is fine and am looking for a steady buddy. But it does seem, whether intentional or not that divers in general are all diving solo, even in groups.

Snowbear:
I have a better idea. How about the certifying agencies step up to the plate and stop turning out bad divers. If you don't meet the standards, you don't pass, period. Then all of us divers don't have to become uncertified instructors to pick up the pieces that PADI and others left after issuing the plastic.

I was on a dive last night with an excellent and competent buddy. We practiced good buddy skills during the dive. The other gardeners that were in the water rototilled the bottom, raked the reef, and molested the livestock the whole time we were down. I'm sure they could have learned from watching Pat and I, but they didn't seem too interested in learning anything.

mempilot:
I have a better idea. How about the certifying agencies step up to the plate and stop turning out bad divers. If you don't meet the standards, you don't pass, period. Then all of us divers don't have to become uncertified instructors to pick up the pieces that PADI and others left after issuing the plastic.
Thread mixing again. So, if what you are suggesting is true, then what we've got is a bunch of divers unskilled as buddies also considering solo diving. Hummm... Not sure which is better. Having them dive alone, or two of them together relying on each other.
Snowbear:
OK - many of you know from previous posts that I'm an avid solo diver.
Oh, I thought you gave that up after you took the blue pill. So are you saying you are both DIR AND a solo diver?

Rick Inman:
Hummm... Not sure which is better. Having them dive alone, or two of them together relying on each other.

There is an excellent point. Having two incompetant divers on the same buddy team poses a risk to both parties. Try and tell someone that they shouldn't be diving though and all hell breaks loose. I doubt there is any real way to solve this problem ... other than to sit and watch darwin smile....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom