Solomon Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humuhumunukunuku

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Solomons has always been on my list of places to try, but from my research it seems very difficult and expensive just to get there. Can anyone tell me how it compares to some of the top spots in s.e. asia? or a cheaper way to do it?

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 08:33 AM ----------

anyone?.....

Solomon Islands are top notch, as good if not better than S.E. Asia due to lack of divers. Because it is hard to get to, expensive and undeveloped. Also, malaria keeps people away. Uepi was a nice land based operation. I hope it still is ( it's been awhile since I was there ).

The Bilikiki is a great live-aboard.

I would tell everyone DON'T GO to the Solmon Islands:D!

However, we will be doing a Beaver Diver group trip to the Solomon Island sooner than later.

thanks for the info! nice to hear you think it's great diving. hope i can find a cheap way to dive it. bilikiki is a bit over budget.

Seriously looking for the 3 of us to go next year. Having a few reservations about the boat's basic comforts. Will be our 1st liveaboard.

I found it somewhat easy to get to. Will have to spend 2 days in Sydney, horrors! From there it's SYD-BNE-HIR arrives at 2pm on the boat by 4pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seriously looking for the 3 of us to go next year. Having a few reservations about the boat's basic comforts. Will be our 1st liveaboard.

HD
I agree. The cabins look very small and basic. Puts me off booking a trip given the cost. It's on a par price wise with the Nai'a in Fiji which is a stunning boat . Saying that, some friends did the trip a few years back and said the diving was awesome.

I agree the diving is spectacular and you wont be surrounded by divers everywhere.....yes its hard to get to but tis worth it.

Cannot comment on any operators or LOBS as i was on a private boat. If you can go you wont regret it :)

Reactions: Heg
Booked the Bilikiki for 10 days followed by 7 days at Uepi. We are already there so why not? Staying in Brisbane for 2 nights, Sydney looks cold in July! YYZ-SYD in J on points and staying in Oz on points helps. Still costing a fortune for the 3 of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just read a great book titled Guadalcanal by Richard Frank...that region became the focus of the War in the Pacific and had epic battles on land and sea. Coast watchers, Banzai charges, battleships, US Marines....Cactus Airforce...PT boats.....The history is incredible.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Will do some onland WWII sight-seeing while offgassing in Honiara until our 3pm flight to Uepi.

Supposedly there is still ordnance on the seabed that you can see on dives. My son is going to go nuts!

Back
Top Bottom