Solstice Dive in the Land of the Midnight Sun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Had a great dive in Resurrection Bay off my new boat today. Uh - I mean yesterday :wink:

Though I've been operating boats on and off most of my life, I found out there is definitely going to be a learning curve associated with operating a small inflatable on a big ocean :11:

Obviously I survived the first day. I know! I need a boating mentor. Or not - maybe I'll figure it out on my own eventually :wink:

Barely got home in time to take some midnight pictures. As you can see, though the sun has set, it doesn't really get dark. These were taken within a couple minutes of each other. The sunset is looking WSW. The mountain is to the east. "Pioneer Peak" is ~6800' high.

An Inflateable! Good grief!

Last time I used one of those balloons was many years ago.:D

Seriously, glad you sprung for one. Of course, you know the definition of a boat? "A hole in the water into which you throw money" I know I've two of them.

Maybe I'll get to see the yacht the when I come down the last half of July.

For now its' off to the river in the morning and my first diving there.

What was the vis like?
water temp?
dry suit?

Have 80+ dives at Whittier/Seward areas. I live in Texas and wish I was back in Alaska.

I had an AOW class in July of 1995 doing a night dive with a 11 pm start. When we got out there were Northern Lights shining in the summer time. We sat and watched for at least an hour.

It is a long swim back to shore in frigid water if that inflateable goes flat.

Great diving to you in one of the best places in the world.

TT

gorgeous pictures

Snowbear:
Viz 60' at least
Air temp 80F
Water temp 48F at depth (104'), 52F shallow
Yep - dry suit.

Northern Lights in the summer - that's pretty cool! I've never seen them before the first week of September.

Yep, that is why we sat out and watched for an hour or so. Ever been buzzed by a harbor seal?

Did a rescue class out of Seward and when we went to get the dive flag, I got buzzed by a young seal. What a rush.

TT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom