Some serious treasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wvjohn

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
love to hear the details on this ... I remember reading about the efforts to locate the other ship they salvaged

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/18/treasure.ship.ap/index.html

TAMPA, Florida (AP) -- Deep-sea explorers said Friday they have mined what could be the richest shipwreck treasure in history, bringing home 17 tons of colonial-era silver and gold coins from an undisclosed site in the Atlantic Ocean. Estimated value: $500 million.

A jet chartered by Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration landed in the United States recently with hundreds of plastic containers brimming with coins raised from the ocean floor, Odyssey co-chairman Greg Stemm said. The more than 500,000 pieces are expected to fetch an average of $1,000 each from collectors and investors.

"For this colonial era, I think (the find) is unprecedented," said rare coin expert Nick Bruyer, who examined a batch of coins from the wreck. "I don't know of anything equal or comparable to it."

Citing security concerns, the company declined to release any details about the ship or the wreck site Friday. Stemm said a formal announcement will come later, but court records indicate the coins might come from a 400-year-old ship found off England.

Because the shipwreck was found in a lane where many colonial-era vessels went down, there is still some uncertainty about its nationality, size and age, Stemm said, although evidence points to a specific known shipwreck. The site is beyond the territorial waters or legal jurisdiction of any country, he said.

"Rather than a shout of glee, it's more being able to exhale for the first time in a long time," Stemm said of the haul, by far the biggest in Odyssey's 13-year history.

He wouldn't say if the loot was taken from the same wreck site near the English Channel that Odyssey recently petitioned a federal court for permission to salvage.

In seeking exclusive rights to that site, an Odyssey attorney told a federal judge last fall that the company likely had found the remains of a 17th-century merchant vessel that sank with valuable cargo aboard, about 40 miles off the southwestern tip of England. A judge signed an order granting those rights last month.

Man - o - man!!!

That is one helluva haul! Almost makes me want to go buy a metal detector (though with my luck I'd only find a few old cans...)

I just read that story..Wow..That is some serious change. I would be happy just to find 1 coin :D

BBC REPORT

Shipwreck yields record treasures

The artefacts have been shipped to the US for examination
US treasure hunters have recovered half a million silver coins and hundreds of gold coins and worked gold from a colonial-era shipwreck in the Atlantic.
Odyssey Marine Exploration said the find was the largest of its kind and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

"The gold coins are almost all dazzling mint state specimens," Odyssey co-founder Greg Stemm said.

The team has kept secret the location of the wreck, codenamed Black Swan, citing security and legal reasons.

The artefacts, including more than 17 tonnes of silver coins, have been shipped to the US and are being examined by experts at an undisclosed location.

Historical significance

The mammoth haul was salvaged using a tethered underwater robot.

The haul was salvaged using a tethered underwater robot
The Odyssey team said the site was of huge historical importance because of the insight it would offer into seafaring and the social life of the period when the ship sank.

"Our research suggests that there were a number of colonial period shipwrecks that were lost in the area where this site is located, so we are being very cautious about speculating as to the possible identity of the shipwreck," said John Morris, Odyssey's co-founder.

"We have treated this site with kid gloves and the archaeological work done by our team out there is unsurpassed.

"We are thoroughly documenting and recording the site, which we believe will have immense historical significance," he said.

The company said it expected the shipwreck would eventually become one of the "most publicised in history".

I just wanted to pile on to the other 17 threads about the treasure. Seeing as none of these are being merged, lets party.

So... what do you all want to talk about? This treasure thing is so played... :shakehead

---
Ken

Treasure, what treasure Ken? I haven't heard a thing about it... heck, I've been diving. Did someone finally locate that Spanish galleon Cousteau said was off Ship Rock?

Back
Top Bottom