Sony DCR PC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil TK

Contributor
Reaction score
Could anyone relate some experiences on the Sony DCR PC1000 please. I’ve got hold of a good conditionsmall housing meant for the older Sony PC series cams and dimensionally this camera will fit in this housing with a bit of packing out and small mods to the switches.
I've read mixed reviews on the net magazines, but a lot of the gripes seem to be about bad manual control -which of course doesn't apply to us marine video-ists.

Many Thanks
Phil TK

check out http://www.digitaldiver.net

Digital Diver will have a load of info. If you expect everyone to say that it is good then don't bother.

Most of the reviews that you read are for land and most of them don't help out for us U/W guys.

As Wally may remember, I just got PC1000 for my dad and took his old PC100. PC1000 is the smaller, 3 CCD, touch screen menu, and about 3 mega still camera feastures though. I don't get that much impression on the new PC1000. Weight, touch screen, and manual feature are all useless for the underwater usage... IMHO.

In addition, the new PC1000 is cheaper than PC100 when I got four years ago... LOL~~~

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm determined to get the pc1000 into this old housing and will find out next week how it goes. I've ordered a pc1000 for delivery at the weekend - if it doesn't go in there then I'll get a new ikelite housing for it, although the ikelite will not be able to withstand quite as many knocks as the old, aluminium one. (I work on Thai dive boats -it can be rough!) I'd like a gates, but my wallet has already gone through two half lifes this month already.
Interestingly, you can bugger about with the touchscreen on the ikelite using little rods on swivelled knobs (hows that for an ad copy) but I've heard that the 'easy' setting on the pc1000 works just fine without needing to twiddle (as if I have time on the job anyhow!)
Oh yes, batteries!!! -tell me which replacement last longer than the paltry standard one.
Phil TK

Phil TK:
Oh yes, batteries!!! -tell me which replacement last longer than the paltry standard one.
Phil TK
Since there's a door that closes over the battery compartment on that particular model(smart move Sony) you're limited to buying batteries of the same physical size as the original. One that should fit and give you about an extra hour is model #NP-FP90

The PC1000 comes with the NP-FA50. The largest battery that is compatible with the PC1000 is the NP-FA70 and should give you a run time of just over 2 hours, about twice as much as the FA50. Steve, I don't think the NP-FP90 will fit in the battery compartment. The downside of the PC1000 is that you will have to remove the camera from the housing to change the battery or tape. But the image quality is pretty amazing for such a small camera. Then again, I haven't tried out the HC-1 yet!

caribbeansoul:
The PC1000 comes with the NP-FA50. The largest battery that is compatible with the PC1000 is the NP-FA70 and should give you a run time of just over 2 hours, about twice as much as the FA50.

Steve, I don't think the NP-FP90 will fit in the battery compartment.
You're right, Sony only lists the NP-FA70 or NP-FA50 as compatible.
Then again, I haven't tried out the HC-1 yet!
Don't until you're ready to buy one. I did and now own it and the Amphibico EVO to go with it. Oh well, I wasn't using that $3500 anyway...

sjspeck:
Don't until you're ready to buy one. I did and now own it and the Amphibico EVO to go with it. Oh well, I wasn't using that $3500 anyway...

That's what I am afraid of! And then having to upgrade my computer to handle HD editing.

I have a PC1000 but not a housing for it... I am VERY disappointed in it's low light performance. In fact... it has bad performance in light which doesn't even SEEM that low - and this is on land folks. If you are going to dive with this camera you are going to need a lot of light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom