Sony DCR-PC330 focusing problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to find out if there is any solution to a focusing problem with the sony DCR-OC330 video camera. I took some video of hammerheads in the Galapagos a couple of years ago and because of all the fish surrounding the sharks the auto focus would switch to them rather than the sharks causing the sharks to be out of focus. I have seen video footage taken by others of the hammerhead sharks where that doesn't happen and was wondering if there was a solution. I will be going back to the Galapagos in Nov and will be taking video again.

thanks for your help

Maybe try turning off auto focus and setting the focus to infinity if that is a possibility with your setup.

Maybe try turning off auto focus and setting the focus to infinity if that is a possibility with your setup.

Yep...Thats what I do.

Hi hammerhead man,

In my experience not all cameras' infinity settings work well underwater. It also depends on the lens and port you are using. I'd test this first with your gear before actually getting to the site. If it works - cool. If not you'll have to make your own infinity:

Before you shoot the sharks, point your camera at a diver or object that's about 10 - 15 m (30 - 45 ft) away from you. Zoom in a bit with focus set to auto. (The more you zoom in, the more you can tell whether you're really focused well, due to smaller depth of field.) Now observe the object in your viewfinder keeping your hand on the focus control. When the subject is clearly in focus, switch from auto to manual focus. There will be no more pumping in your shots now. (Zoom back out until you have reached a point at which you consider the shake acceptable.) To be sure that it's worked, swim further away from the subject and verify it is still in focus. After that don't touch the focus anymore - your shots will be sharp UNLESS -> a shark comes closer than what you have just set. In that case be prepared to
  • either switch the focus back to auto quickly and hope the camera reacts quickly (keep your finger there at all times to not miss that shot), get the amazing shot, then do the above again to get rid of the pumping.
  • or better yet - zoom to total wide angle as quickly and smoothly as you can while holding on the shark. Totally zoomed to wide your shot should be in focus at any distance. (The more you zoom out, the less is out of focus, due to greater depth of field.)

Good luck! Let me know how it went! I'd love to see that footage in November!

Back
Top Bottom