Trip Report Socorro Trip on the MV Valentina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micquinn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is my first post, but since when I was researching the MV Valentina I did not see much information I thought I would add a trip report. I did a 8 day trip on the MV Valentina from November 29 to December 8 of 2023. I flew in the day before the boat left and stayed at the La Marina Inn as I was concerned about any possibility of missing the departure. The La Marina was a nice hotel and actually within a somewhat sweaty walk of where the boat was docked. I don't know that I would do it again as it added additional cost to the trip, but if you'd chose to, I would recommend the La Marina Inn.

Because I was staying close by, I was able to get to the Valentina early, about 2 PM was the earliest they said I could board. I was one of the first ones on board and was assigned cabin #9. It had two bunks. As I'm in my 60s I was a little concerned about getting the top bunk for trips to the bathroom at night and was able to get the bottom bunk. However the top bunk was pretty accessible so I don't think it would've been a problem. While the room wasn't fancy it was fairly good sized. It had a dresser, a closet and a sink. The room also had a bathroom with a toilet and a decent size shower. Overall I was happy with the room accommodations. I was concerned about getting a good roommate and as it turned out I got a great roommate who did not snore :).

By the time I got settled in my room, there were other guests starting to show up in setting their gear up on the dive deck. The dive deck was adequate but not huge. They assigned me a location that I would not recommend. Be aware of where the wetsuit hang bars are located as my location was right underneath one of the wetsuit hanger bars and so therefore when I was getting ready I was often dealing with wetsuits hanging over my gear. As an older diver I was also concerned about entry and exit from the RIB's. While they had a rear dive platform, this was never used for some reason. All are entry and exits from the RIB's were off the port and starboard stairs. The benefit of this was that there were fewer stairs. I fairly quickly learned that getting into the RIB, I waited until there were two people whose arms I could grab onto to keep myself stable as I stepped in all my gear on. I had switched out to a 100 ft.³ tank after the first day of diving because due to currents I was going through gas more than normal. I chose to dive with nitrox and generally the fills were 31 to 32%.

One shock I got was when I was checking was the park fee. It was something in the neighborhood of $700 which if it was disclosed to me by Fun Azul, I did not see it. The additional problem was that because I was not prepared for this extra expense, I had only brought about $500 in US currency and so therefore had to use my credit card where there was a exorbitant additional fee of I think 15%. These numbers may not be exact because at the time I was more focused on getting checked in and just wanted to get the payments over with. But do check into the fees for the park, nitrox, wifi and credit card usage ahead of time.

As for the diving, on one hand it lived up to expectations and on another it did not. Of course it's a 26 hour sail out to the islands so our first day of diving was on Friday. We were diving on Socorro Island at Cabo Pierce. We did four dives there. My notes from the dives were that we saw few mentors but they did not stay long, few white tip sharks and some assorted fish, nothing really to impressive and I was hoping that the next spot would be better. On the second day we stayed at Socorro Island and dove at Punta Toska. This day was a bit better as we saw some various types of sharks, Galápagos, silky's and silver tips. Did not see any manta's on this day. After dinner I went out on the deck and they had lights shining in the water and there were a number of silky's feeding on fish that were being attracted by the lights. That was one of the highlights of the day and was fun to watch. They were actually larger than ones we'd seen in the water. On the third day we were back at Cabo Pierce. I guess due to weather conditions. In general we had quite a bit of wind and sea conditions were probably 4-6 foot swells. We also had a lot of current on the dives. I felt like I was working pretty hard on every dive and there were a couple dives where I had to crawl on the bottom to get to the spots we were hanging off. I would definitely recommend bringing a reef hook. This day we saw some mantas, very briefly saw some dolphins, and more white tips.

After dinner the boat got underway and I was feeling a bit queasy so put a patch on. However the next morning when I woke up I had extreme cottonmouth and felt kind of druged so I took it off. On Monday we were at San Benedict the island, but because there were other boats there we do not get in the water until 9 AM. I made a note in my log the first dive had strong current and low visibility (probably 30 feet). On the second dive we briefly saw a large tiger shark which was cool. Some of the other group said they saw some hammerheads out in the distance. Saw a few mantas briefly. One lesson I learned about seeing mantas, was they always seemed to be above me. On the last couple of dives I made a specific choice to stay above the other divers probably about 20 feet, and was able to get some closer encounters. One downside to staying above other divers was being in their bubbles. I learned the hard way when I got back and was editing my video, that some bubbles had gotten in between my WWL1 wet lens and ruined up one of my best clips of a manta. Basically the rest of the trip we were at San Benedicto Island. Mostly the Canyons, but we did get two dives in at the Boiler. We did not make it to Roca Partida due to weather conditions. I wasn't a huge fan of the Canyons but I did love the Boiler. Diving on the sheer walls was pretty spectacular. This is also where I tried to stay shallower and got a couple of close manta encounters.

A note about how they organized the dives. The first dive was at 7 AM which was pretty early for me. It was actually still dark when were getting ready on the deck. We were organized in three groups. There was a group diving together from Europe, a group from Colorado and then our group which was the leftovers. We had five people including myself, plus the dive master. They rotated through each day a different group being the first group, second group and third group. I actually enjoyed being the third group because it wasn't such a rush to get ready and when you surfaced, the RIB was there to pick you up. When you were the first group, you I found it kind of rushed and typically you would have to wait on the surface in the RIB waiting for one of the other groups the surface as a spotter or to pick them up.

A note on dive equipment, I brought both a 3 mm and 5 mm suit and only used the 5 mm a few times. Although I did wear hood. There was one lady that had a 7 mm and also a guy from Chicago who was wearing a shorty with no hood. So there was a variety. I wear Force Fins, but if I went again I would bring my Pro version due to the current. As I mentioned above, I switched to a 100 ft.³ tank even though my gas usage is usually pretty good. It was just nice not having to worry about running out even though there was an extra cost.

Food on the boat was generally good. The boat itself was an overall good repair. The crew was great. All the dive masters were very attentive, enthusiastic, helpful if you needed help. They also served food and cleared dishes for the meals. Definitely really enjoyed the crew. All the divers on the boat were great. The European group tended to stay by themselves. The group from Colorado and Seattle were very friendly. In my group I had a wonderful young couple from Bali, a French doctor and a retired police Capt. from Chicago. Really enjoyed diving with them.

When were heading back in, I asked Lorenzo on a scale of 1-10 how he rate this trip and he said probably a "3" due to the surface conditions, currents and visibility. Even though this was supposed to be the calmer time of year, it did not turn out to be the case. It is the ocean so you get what you get. Overall I would recommend the Valentina as a boat with a great crew. I know many people have a amazing experience at Socorro, we were just not one of them. That said, we still got to see some amazing wildlife and I'm glad that I went. However with so many amazing places to go around the world, I'm not sure I will go back.

I hope someone finds this post helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to give us a trip report. I've been to Socorro twice, the first time in November (an epic trip) and the second time in May and it was much like your trip. The weather, current, and swells were pretty bad from the time we left the dock to the time we came back to land. I don't have a desire to return. Those marine park fees are brutal, which is the other reason why I won't be back.

You shouldn't have paid Socorro Park Fee.

SOCORRO PARK FEES

The Socorro Park fee is 1811 pesos per day of diving. For a typical Socorro trip with six days of diving, it is 10866 pesos. Divers can pay this in advance or at the end of the trip. We will use the peso/dollar exchange rate on the departure date.

PARK FEE EXCEPTIONS

OVER 60 AND RETIRED: The park fee will be waived for people over 60 who can provide documentation that they are retired or pensioned. According to CONANP, any official document with the words "RETIRED" or "PENSIONED" will be accepted along with a current passport photo. Any other documentation will NOT be accepted.
When booking through Fun Azul, if they had known that the person on the other end was 60 years old, they should have informed you. The submission of specific documents applied only a week before departure, and it didn't apply if you were currently employed.

Many people, in my opinion, may not be aware of this and might have paid around $650 to $700 unnecessarily.

I went solo diving in Valentina, and during the transition from the Zodiac to the diving spot, all divers executed a backroll entry simultaneously. Unfortunately, my fellow diver entered later, resulting in her tank colliding with my head and shoulder, causing a shoulder injury. Despite completing all six days of diving, I had to seek medical attention for my shoulder injury after I got back home. I underwent shoulder rehabilitation for over a year, experiencing depression due to having to take a break from diving.

Additionally, I regret not wearing gloves for the first two days, as the water temperature was relatively warm. While moving on the Zodiac and transferring onto the boat, I sustained injuries where I had to grab the rope with bare hands, resulting in cuts on my fingertips.

I went for the trip during the Tanksgiving season, and the 6-day diving experience was a fantastic memory with the sea conditions not being bad. All crew members were friendly, I watched Spanish broadcasts with the head chef, explored the captain's bridge with captain, and enjoyed excellent food. The bartender made amazing Margaritas too. I had a truly amazing experience, excluding the injuries. I made the reservation through valentinaliveaboard.com.

I went solo diving in Valentina, and during the transition from the Zodiac to the diving spot, all divers executed a backroll entry simultaneously. Unfortunately, my fellow diver entered later, resulting in her tank colliding with my head and shoulder, causing a shoulder injury. Despite completing all six days of diving, I had to seek medical attention for my shoulder injury after I got back home. I underwent shoulder rehabilitation for over a year, experiencing depression due to having to take a break from diving.
Sorry to hear that and hope you’ve fully recovered.

This is a great example of why it’s critically important for all divers to be ready and in-synch to backroll on the exact same count. Any hesitation on a diver’s part means they then must wait and not backroll in until the zodiac driver tells you it’s clear!

Moment of panic! I saw your note about marine park fee and was not prepared for an additional $700.00! I did some follow up and it appears that different ops handle things in different ways. We will be diving with nautilus and the fees are factored into the cost of the trip. So I guess we already paid them up front. For me, I prefer this approach. Though I'm sure it a makes marketing a bit tougher.
That said, we are being charged $350 each. Not $700.
Either way, nice report. As you note, "It is the ocean so you get what you get." Hope we get a bit better luck! Finger crossed!

This is my first post, but since when I was researching the MV Valentina I did not see much information I thought I would add a trip report.
Which makes your report all the more valuable to others who may research it. I've seen the vessel mentioned before, but in the context of Sea of Cortez trips; it's not one of those I often hear mentioned with Socorro trips. What led you to pick this vessel over other options.
The La Marina was a nice hotel and actually within a somewhat sweaty walk of where the boat was docked. I don't know that I would do it again as it added additional cost to the trip
Are you saying you'd stay elsewhere, or skip arriving a day early and take your chances of showing up day of the trip putting you at risk for flight cancellation, baggage delays, etc...?
I had switched out to a 100 ft.³ tank after the first day of diving because due to currents I was going through gas more than normal.

We also had a lot of current on the dives. I felt like I was working pretty hard on every dive and there were a couple dives where I had to crawl on the bottom to get to the spots we were hanging off. I would definitely recommend bringing a reef hook.
Good to know. Do people on Socorros trips take tough gloves for holding onto rocks the way Galapagos liveaboard divers do? Do you spend much time holding onto bottom structure such as boulders, or are you nearly always in the water column?

One shock I got was when I was checking was the park fee. It was something in the neighborhood of $700 which if it was disclosed to me by Fun Azul, I did not see it. The additional problem was that because I was not prepared for this extra expense, I had only brought about $500 in US currency and so therefore had to use my credit card where there was a exorbitant additional fee of I think 15%.

Thank you for your trip report! Socorro is on my list and I'll hopefully get there in 2025. I'll be on the lookout for the park fee now. Surprise fees, and exorbitant credit card fees, are so frustrating.

Sorry to hear that and hope you’ve fully recovered.

This is a great example of why it’s critically important for all divers to be ready and in-synch to backroll on the exact same count. Any hesitation on a diver’s part means they then must wait and not backroll in until the zodiac driver tells you it’s clear!
Agreed - that is what most if not all boats tell divers to do. However, to me, it is leap of faith to expect that human folly will not occur. That's why I prefer negative entries by backrolling and immediately going vertical, head-down, like a freediver. If I get hit, it will be in the legs and not my upper body/head, as hard as some claim my head to be.

Moment of panic! I saw your note about marine park fee and was not prepared for an additional $700.00! I did some follow up and it appears that different ops handle things in different ways. We will be diving with nautilus and the fees are factored into the cost of the trip. So I guess we already paid them up front. For me, I prefer this approach. Though I'm sure it a makes marketing a bit tougher.
That said, we are being charged $350 each. Not $700.
Either way, nice report. As you note, "It is the ocean so you get what you get." Hope we get a bit better luck! Finger crossed!
In theory, it is $81 per dive day this season, unless they changed it on Jan. 1st. The OP's trip was a typical 9 day/8 night day, with 5-6 days of diving, so at most, it should have been $486. In my opinion, bad on Fun Azul if they charged him $700, and bad on them also for not advising him that being over 60, he might have qualified for the fee exemption - an application process that has been streamlined a lot since its introduction in 2022 (I think). Once the required documents are submitted, it now takes a few weeks at most, rather than months, .

I stayed at La Marina and can recommend. Short walk to the boat, clean rooms and the staff was accommodating re: stowing luggage after check out if needed. They also arranged airport transporation. Regarding fees, I saw a few retired folks successfully get this waived. It was approximately $105/day. Fair point on the backroll timing. I caught a tank to the shoulder on day one. By day two, aside from folks needing cameras handed down, quite a few of us were doing negative entries and sync'd up around 15 ft before heading down with the guide.

You shouldn't have paid Socorro Park Fee.

SOCORRO PARK FEES

The Socorro Park fee is 1811 pesos per day of diving. For a typical Socorro trip with six days of diving, it is 10866 pesos. Divers can pay this in advance or at the end of the trip. We will use the peso/dollar exchange rate on the departure date.

PARK FEE EXCEPTIONS

OVER 60 AND RETIRED: The park fee will be waived for people over 60 who can provide documentation that they are retired or pensioned. According to CONANP, any official document with the words "RETIRED" or "PENSIONED" will be accepted along with a current passport photo. Any other documentation will NOT be accepted.
When booking through Fun Azul, if they had known that the person on the other end was 60 years old, they should have informed you. The submission of specific documents applied only a week before departure, and it didn't apply if you were currently employed.

Many people, in my opinion, may not be aware of this and might have paid around $650 to $700 unnecessarily.

Additionally, I regret not wearing gloves for the first two days, as the water temperature was relatively warm. While moving on the Zodiac and transferring onto the boat, I sustained injuries where I had to grab the rope with bare hands, resulting in cuts on my fingertips.

I went for the trip during the Tanksgiving season, and the 6-day diving experience was a fantastic memory with the sea conditions not being bad. All crew members were friendly, I watched Spanish broadcasts with the head chef, explored the captain's bridge with captain, and enjoyed excellent food. The bartender made amazing Margaritas too. I had a truly amazing experience, excluding the injuries. I made the reservation through valentinaliveaboard.com.
Thank you for your reply. Reports I am not actually retired yet :) so I guess I would've still had to pay the exorbitant fee. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I heard about this happening to someone in the Galapagos and sustaining a serious head injury and ever since have been concerned about back roll entries. Your situation sounded similar and also very serious.

Regarding gloves, I had originally heard that they did not allow them but I brought them anyways and was glad I had them because the currents were so strong that it was helpful to hang onto the rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom