Sony e-mount underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great write up Phil good summary. Just a shame no mention of the Zeiss 50mm macro lens I guess you didnt get this for review? Also I think the Zeiss 12mm is absolutely superb. Glad you are back in the Sony fold ha ha.

Sorry Alien but I have not had a chance to use the Zeiss 50mm macro and not much for commenting on equipment I have never used.

I have attached a Sony E-mount article with images from several E-mount camera and my approach to building a system.

Sony E-Mount Mirrorless Cameras for Underwater Photography | TalkEmount - Sony Alpha E-Mount Camera User Group

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the comprehensive review of lenses suitable for underwater use with E mount systems.

For macro, the new 90mm Macro FE seems to be an excellent lens choice and is supported on Nauticam housings. However Nauticam do not currently offer a focus gear for this lens on NEX/APS-C systems so their current solution allows neither DMF or camera body switching to manual focus. As the autofocus on this lens can be a little slow and there is no access underwater to the focus range limiting switch, this may be a disadvantage. I assume the reason that no gear is so far available is that with the lens focus ring in the AF position, there are no focus stops at infinity or minimum distance and the ring turns continuously, but any gear on E-mount APS-C housings will impose an arbitrary limit on the range through which focus rings can be turned.

The only solution to this would seem to be use of a continuously turning focus knob on the N85-N120 adapter (or possibly on a port extension) and a custom gear. The recommended adapter does not offer such a knob but the slightly shorter 36401 does. However to fit the lens the Macro Port 60 would need an extra 10mm Port Extension, and this looks like it would leave ~7mm air gap from the front of the lens to the port glass. I don't think that would be a big problem in normal use given the reasonable working distance of the 90mm lens, but I wondered whether you think that would produce problems for super-macro with accessory wet lenses that obviously wouldn't be quite as close to the prime lens as desirable?

Mark

Hello Mark,Regarding your question about port configuration you are correct in saying that with macro port 60 and extension the lens does sit to far from the port glass for a closeup lens to be effective. I used a similar configuration for my first dives with the 90mm macro and my +10 closeup lens did not work well. With the new Nauticam N100 macro port 105 closeup lenses like the Nauticam SMC-1 work quite well. Both configurations are shown below.

Attachments

• DSC00835-1.jpg
    DSC00835-1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
you are correct in saying that with macro port 60 and extension the lens does sit to far from the port glass for a closeup lens to be effective.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for confirming the need to minimise the distance from lens to port glass if super-macro is to be used. When you say that the +10 didn't work well with a wider gap, was the problem distortion, chromatic aberration, or something else? Do you have any feel for what might be a maximum acceptable air gap? The problem I have is that with my existing adapter (55mm extension) plus macro port 60, the lens only just fails to fit but the minimum available additional Nauticam extension increment is 10mm which would bring me to 125mm total extension. The Nauticam recommended setup for the A6000 is a total of 120mm extension but this doesn't allow for a focus gear.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Good to see your still experimenting "outside the box" with the NEX system. It doesn't surprise me to find you here in searching for info on the Sony 90 and APS-C.

I was going to buy a fellow divers 36401 55mm N85 to N120 adapter today to come up with a combo for my NEX7 WA and SM, but than discovered after talking to Kevin at Reef, that it wouldn't work for either: 55mm most likely being too deep for my Z12 and as you pointed out, a hair too short and no centering sleeve at the end of the S90 for the Nikon macro port 60. Nor will it work for the T10-17 zoom gear. As you mentioned, the 60mm adapter doesn't have a focusing knob so using it on a Sony 90 would be frustrating to say the least given it difficult focusing and it gets worse when you use a +10 diopter in my experience.

A fairly new addition to adapters is the Nauticam 50mm N85 to N120 adapter for the Metabones and Tokina10-17 FE. Add a N120 10mm extension and you have a 60mm adapter with the focusing knob providing you have a way of making the gear work with it setting it back some 10mm. I was thinking of using this set-up for my WA using the adapter by itself for my Z12 and the T10-17 , adding my 20mm mini extension to use it with the Z16-70, all in the 4.33 SLR dome. If it works, I'll remove my 67mm swing adapter I grafted onto the shades of my mini 4.33 for SM when using the Z16-70. This macro mount works good with my 4.33 and S18-55 kit lens.

Be nice to get the 50mm N85to N120 to work with T10-17 for FE, Z12 for sharp rectilinear , Z16-70 w/ macro capability for a single dive lens set-up, and the S90 for SM. All from a couple ports, N85 to N120 50mm adapter, a 20mm mini extension and 10mm N120 extension.

Many have reported that the FE 4.33 has too much curvature and it's use is discouraged for rectilinear WA's, but my shots with my modified Z12 in my mini 4.33 look good. I find the corners nearly as sharp as the 7" dome. Perhaps because it is such a close focusing lens. The WA close up is fantastic with the 4.33, focusing on subjects only an inch or so away from the port. With the 16-70 I'm hoping for more of the same with 16mm rather than the kit lens 18mm, along with the grafted macro swing mounted to the shade wings to bring the +10 into play for SM. Focus and zoom gears are all available using the 50mm adapter, which is what has attracted me to the set-up.

On paper this seems like it may work, but given the costs I may just stick with what I have and try to manufacture a Z17-60 zoom gear that will fit the mini 4.33 dome's narrower ID and add an mini-30mm extension(along with my 20mm extension) to give it the depth it needs. I'm currently looking for some 70mm OD and 68mm ID aluminum tubing for the Z16-70. I found it in titanium, but too expensive ($70) out of China for a short piece. Where did you get your tubing from and what vacuum cleaner belt did you use when you made your own gears? Was it for the Z16-70?

I'll continue to use my Canon 60 macro set-up in Nauticam's custom port until I can figure a way to add the S90. Kevin said the S90 is long and needs a centering ring when using a adapter focusing/zoom gear, otherwise the gear pushes the lens sideways. Plus. there's the diopter distance issue mentioned above to consider. As Phil mentioned, the N100 system is the best for the S90, as it's designed with the centering ring. My Canon macro set-up works well with diopters and also has the the centering ring at the end of the lens.

Cheers,

Marsh

Last edited:
Hi Phil, long time since I saw you!

I am thinking about moving up from my EM-5 (the original) to a newer system with 4K. Your article was really helpful reading. Debating between the EM-I mk II and the A-6500. Have you had any chance to shoot with the 6500, or heard from folks who do?

Thanks!

Guy

UPDATE: On using Z16-70 in my compact NEX 4.33 dome, I just finished successfully building a zoom gear out of titanium tubing and a fiberglass timing belt to drive it. Works beautifully in my NEX7 housing. However, only to discover that my Aquatica and SMC +10 close-up lens both vignette with the Ziess at the 70mm range. I was totally caught off guard since the FOV at 70mm is narrower than that on my S18-55. Both diopters work great with my good copy of the 18-55 kit lens though, so I still have a useful single dive set-up. I'm hoping that the CMC-1 will work with both the Z16-70 and C60 EF-S (which is what I use for macro) However, the C60 is not listed as a compatible lens on the Nauticam site for the CMC-1. Anyone have any success in using the CMC-1 with the Canon 60 EF-S? I may have to stick with my SMC or Aquatica (not as sharp as the SMC).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom