Sony HDR-HC1 Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinistar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here are two samples taken from a HDR-HC1 system. The footage was transferred in SD (iLink set to SD) and captured via Windows Media Player in one of their compressed modes (so probably lost some resolution there). My friend then simply put together a set of clips to a song. So there is no video post processing for color, light levels, etc. All footage was shot in Cozumel (March 2006) with the blue water filter in place below 15' and no lights. The camera was in a L&M Bluefin housing using the magnified viewfinder and auto-white balance. With the QM-71 battery, the rig is about 1/2lb positive. These are from my first camera dives so be warned, there's some out of focus and shakin' goin' on!

Video # 1 (56MB, higher resolution)
http://www.adventuresports-scuba.com/images/Videos/CozumelSecondVideo.wmv

Video # 2 (Different shots, rendered down to fit 10MB)
http://www.adventuresports-scuba.com/images/Videos/CozumelDiveVideo.WMV

ps. I've setup Premiere Pro 2.0, captured in HDV and done some video correction but my PC is just too slow so I'm gonna stay in the SD world for another few months until my editing system is setup. However, playing back the native footage to a 720p projector looks awesome and a 1080i TV looks even better.

I waited and waited for video #1 to download... and I am so glad I did! :D

Awesome video! thank you for posting it. The wildlife was stunning but I also enjoyed the top down shots of the divers swiming over the white sand.

great job!
Allen

Sinistar,

I haven't seen the videos yet but look forward to when I have time.

I tested my HC-7 underwater and found that what I feared from my topside tests is true. It does NOT focus closer than 10" unless you use the touch screen to put it into "tele macro" mode. Totally unacceptable for me as a videographer who likes to get up close and personal with the marine life.

I was wondering. Does the HC-1 focus close? I may be looking for another HD camera if I can't get a work-around for the HC-7.

ALittleTank:
I waited and waited for video #1 to download... and I am so glad I did!
Awesome video! thank you for posting it. The wildlife was stunning but I also enjoyed the top down shots of the divers swiming over the white sand.
...thanks for tolerating the download! Actually, I'm chompin' at the bit to be able to re-do that video and color correct and brighten up some of the scenes. Hopefully it won't be too long now. Thanks for watching and thanks for any comments regarding the footage!

drBill:
I tested my HC-7 underwater and found that what I feared from my topside tests is true. It does NOT focus closer than 10" unless you use the touch screen to put it into "tele macro" mode. Totally unacceptable for me as a videographer who likes to get up close and personal with the marine life.

I was wondering. Does the HC-1 focus close? I may be looking for another HD camera if I can't get a work-around for the HC-7.
...I just read your message. Here's the initial info I have until I dig out the housing tomorrow and do more macro experimenting.

The HDR-HC1 does have a Tele/Macro mode. There is a dedicated external button on the outside of the camera for this (on left side about 1" back from the lens). I took a quick browse through the LCD touchscreen menus and I didn't see a tele/macro option via the touchscreen. So perhaps Sony decided to change that sometime later.

On this Bluefin housing there are (4) mechanial controls (all others via LANC):
- Tele/Macro toggle button
- Expanded Focus toggle button
- Auto/Manual Focus toggle button
- Manual Exposure +/-

NOTE: All photos and information is based on using the the L&M stock Tele/Macro port.

Back to the camera. I have it here in front of me (not in the housing). Without going to Tele/Macro mode & with autofocus enabled, I can slowly bring the camera to within about 2" of printed text and it will autofocus. The manual focus mode shows a minimum focus of about 0.1meters.

When I switch the camera to macro mode (using the built in lens) the minimum focus range indicated in manual is 0.5meters (well over 1'). I confirmed this by setting the focus to minimum and slowly moving the camera to the point where I was a little over a foot away and then it went out of focus again.

However something different must be going on once the camera is inside the housing and behind the port because I remember trying a macro mode shot about 2 months ago on a flounder eyeball. I'm pretty sure I was at least 6" away (but it was probably more given it didn't spook). I did use Autofocus but I remember it being a pain in the arse to get the distance/focus right so it would lock. Unfortunately, this is all from memory. And it was in that wonderful (yet cursed current) so it was really a bugger going macro while hand held. I don't currently have the video available, however you can see the stills that were taken (via the video) at the same distance starting with image # 108 (the link below). Please note that these were taken in about 20' of water, not sure if the red filter was in, no external lighting, used Picasa's auto color correction, no brightness tweaks, so the frame's light level is as-is.

http://www.amazonbeach.com/RawPictureGalleries/Cozumel2007UWLife/slides/DSC03169.html

ps. I believe all the photos in this gallery where taken with the HC1.

WOW! Talk about clear and sharp! Poor eagle ray...missing part of it's tail, but didn't even notice you sneaking up on 'em....very cool!! Great clip thanks for sharing!!!

drBill,

I just put the camera in the housing to get ready for tomorrow. I repeated the tele/macro button test. Basically, it's the exact same as outside the housing thus this tele/macro port has very little optical effect (w/r to the camera).

In the macro mode, I can focus clearly a little over a foot away. I checked the manual and it confirms that stating a distance of 19". However, when I take the unit out of macro mode and unzoom to 1x, I can actually have the housing port lens touching a business card and still read it and focus. Obviously, you have to work in slowly to allow the autofocus to figure it out or just use the manual focus.

I hope you have better diving conditions and better luck figuring things out this weekend!!!

Dive conditions were equally lousy or worse today (OK, but I still had fun).

I just reviewed the 30+ min of footage I shot on three dives. Take away the effect of high particulates in the water, some of the footage came out beautifully and I would have archived it were it not for the particulates. Then the camera's white balance shifted on the second dive site (very green waters, vis 8-12 ft) and the footage had an awful green cast to it EVEN when I used my video light! Couldn't figure that out... I've never seen it happen with my TRV-17. However, footage I shot of a moray with cleaner shrimp in a crevice came out very nicely despite the fact that the green color cast was in the footage before and after it.

I'm finding this camcorder to be the most difficult of the five different formats I've used in this housing. I've never had this kind of trouble with the 8, Hi-8, digital-8 or mini-DV footage shot in the same dive sites and the same housing.

justleesa:
WOW! Talk about clear and sharp! Poor eagle ray...missing part of it's tail, but didn't even notice you sneaking up on 'em....very cool!! Great clip thanks for sharing!!!
You're welcome! It's a shame PC speeds, bandwidths and blue-ray/HD stuff isn't already further along - you should see this same native footage on a 1080i display - so clear it's hard to describe.

That dive with the Eagle Ray will not be forgotten anytime soon. We were in a small group (my two good dive buddies, myself and the DM). Early in the dive we noticed the Ray feeding on the bottom with that Pompano(??) following along. Since no other groups were coming up on us, we just stayed and my buddies and the DM hung back as I worked in closer and closer until I was easily less than 3' directly above it a few times. We figured that we had watched for over 10minutes and I have over 5 minutes of footage.

I was so into the scene I forgot about composition. I should have went for more shots with the guys in the background. And I should have tried to get more in front - but every time I got a bit ahead it would fly off, loop around and come back. And I really wish one of the other guys would have started digging in the sand in hopes it would have gotten curious and friendly and went near one of them.

Oh well. I'm hoping there's a next time!!! And a few interesting things about those shots. First off, no matter what format the video is in, I could look at that beautiful camoflauge pattern for a long, long time. And, I love the resemblence to a butterfly when pictured from above digging in the sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom