Sony HDR XR 550 - housing choice. Need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Gates is hard to beat. Just doesn't have the electronic controls they are looking for but if that didn't matter, Gates is at the top of any list.

One of the many reasons that I went for the gates was specifically that it doesn't have electronic controls. My reasoning being that with out these there is less to go wrong and if your electronic controls screw up while underwater your pretty much screwed especially if you are somewhere remote.

i`m so close to make a choice...this setup convinced me. amphibico + 95 degree lens.

Amphibico 95 Degree EVO Port

I too went through this same decision process earlier this year, & thanks to the great response from fellow videographers on this board, I selected the Amphibico for my Sony CX550. I am quite impressed with the solid yet compact construction of this rig. I will confirm that you indeed have electronically controlled manual WB by depressing two buttons simultaineously. Many questions were answered promptly by the sales rep @ Amphibico - he even emailed a PDF of the manual prior to my buying decision, so I could get a complete feel for setup, etc. My only gripe is that though this was the best bang for the buck, the shipping was well over $100 due to it coming from Canada.

thanks MN. I will call Amphibico in 1h after i finish my work. Why did you choose CX 550 and not XR 550 ? You have a problem with HDD or you trust more the memory cards? if its not 2 hard for you can you send the same manual you have received at: misaclaudiu@yahoo.com ? please!

Thanks!

I will confirm that you indeed have electronically controlled manual WB by depressing two buttons simultaineously.
Nice, I've edited my previous post to reflect that. So what does this button do then?

thumbnail_newdivebuddy3.jpg
Or is it one of the two buttons?

thanks MN. I will call Amphibico in 1h after i finish my work. Why did you choose CX 550 and not XR 550 ? You have a problem with HDD or you trust more the memory cards? if its not 2 hard for you can you send the same manual you have received at: misaclaudiu@yahoo.com ? please!

Thanks!

I chose the CX 550 because of fewer moving parts that can wear out. Flash memory has come a long way in the last couple years, & the access to files is instananeous. I bought mine from B & H Photo on line, & they threw in a Passport portable hard drive designed to connect directly to the Sony & download/backup during week long dive trips. I set up the camera to only record still photos onto the removeable Compact Flashcards.

I'm afraid the link I have to the PDF is on my office PC, so I'll gladly forward that to you on Monday. Otherwise JC @ Amphibico will upon request email the manual to you.

Nice, I've edited my previous post to reflect that. So what does this button do then?

thumbnail_newdivebuddy3.jpg
Or is it one of the two buttons?

This is apparently a button found on older housings, not the one designed for the HD Sony 550's. To activate the manual white balance, you first depress the "manual focus" button on the right side handle, & simultaineously hit the main record button. The screen acknowledges the camera has successfully processed the command with a little icon in the lower left hand screen.

Another tip for anyone using this housing & others that have a separate powered monitor: I bought 2 sets of 4 Sanyo Ni-MH rechargeable batteries. They charge quickly, hold their charge for up to a year, & most importantly, keep the monitor going for up to 4 hours. I got a great deal from a trusted Ebay store.

Here BTW is my first & only video so far using the new rig:

Corey Brown's videos on Vimeo

The e model is PAL. (Europe?) The v model is NTSC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom