South Carolina diver missing in Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad to hear this. I wasn't lucky enough to know this gentleman but read a few articles in which he was the main "character". Sounded like a solid diver and a good guy. Thank You for posting this information. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

P

As I mentioned earlier, he volunteered with our water search and rescue team. We are setting up a fund to assist his family - if interested you may send a donation to:

Vito Bertucci Fund
C/O MCAS Beaufort Federal Credit Union
P.O. Drawer 1227
Beaufort, SC 29901

Thank You D. Clifton, Skipper, Beaufort Water Search & Rescue

Interesting site:

http://www.annamaria.net/bertucci/

I would like to first offer my condoloences as Vito sounded like a very interesting person. I also want to preface what I am saying with the fact that no technique or solution is perfect in all conditions. I am a frequent diver of the Cooper but have little experience in other limited vis. conditions. As it sounds, this option would not be possible in Vito's case.

A comment was made, however, about not being able to stay with a buddy or have contact with him/her in these conditions. This belief could make new black water divers weary of making the move. I usually dive with a less-experienced buddy to search for artifacts and fossils. We often (and not always as this is not a good idea in unknown conditions...ie unknown bottom contour) use a jon line to connect us together. As already necessary for the conditions, we have knives and familiarity with our equipment in case of a need to detach the line. The line does provide a means of communicating in no vis. conditions. Though communication is limited, when in trouble, just making contact could save a life. Just an idea that not only makes it safer when used in the right conditions but also helps more divers be willing to expand the application of their exploration.

John

H2OADDICT:
I would like to first offer my condoloences as Vito sounded like a very interesting person. I also want to preface what I am saying with the fact that no technique or solution is perfect in all conditions. I am a frequent diver of the Cooper but have little experience in other limited vis. conditions. As it sounds, this option would not be possible in Vito's case.

A comment was made, however, about not being able to stay with a buddy or have contact with him/her in these conditions. This belief could make new black water divers weary of making the move. I usually dive with a less-experienced buddy to search for artifacts and fossils. We often (and not always as this is not a good idea in unknown conditions...ie unknown bottom contour) use a jon line to connect us together. As already necessary for the conditions, we have knives and familiarity with our equipment in case of a need to detach the line. The line does provide a means of communicating in no vis. conditions. Though communication is limited, when in trouble, just making contact could save a life. Just an idea that not only makes it safer when used in the right conditions but also helps more divers be willing to expand the application of their exploration.

John

I, like Vito, would never tie myself to another diver. That was a set-up we tried when I first got into BW diving 25 years ago. We spent more time de-fouling lines wrapped around trees, old pilings, ...each other. You would not believe all the tiny snags you can find. You get into a good area, your partner will inevitably drag you out of it...might work for some divers, but not for me. I get in trouble a flick of my thumb and I drop weights and bag....don't want to have to think about having to cut a line too. When in trouble that extra few seconds might cost a life, too. Might only take a few seconds, but seconds count....but that's just my opinion.

Update: We recently got word through the coroner's report that Vito died of a massive coronary. There was no evidence that he had died of drowning.

Back
Top Bottom