South Carolina diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive those sights all the time, and you are right, they can be quite challenging, but I have never left one of those sights even in the worst condition and wished I had stayed on the beach.

Two weeks ago, the seas were dead calm, visibility was about 30' on the Ross, but last week, the seas were 3-5', and visibility was over 60'. The marine life is so pristine because really not many people make the trip out.

As long as we plan for the conditions, we always have a good time.

I dive often with coastal scuba, in myrtle beach. Great dives and super great crew. All dives are good in their own way. The sherman, at 55 feet, barracuda alley at 40 to 55, the govenor at 80, st. cathan, the hebe, and the vermillion for deeper divers. All verry good and worth it. Tell cameron hey!

Is SC - Myrtle beach and hilton head good for beginner divers? I literally only have 2 ocean dives under my belt.

I'm diving with Coastal in the morning 7/22, and expresswatersports next week. I will tell you that express water sports has an excellent, well stocked dive shop. They seem to really care about the customers. I'll post another report on Coastal Scuba tomorrow.

Viz varies every day on all sites. There are many reefs to dive from shallow to very deep. You can find all the DNR reefs here http://www.charlestonfishing.com/. Look under library then reefs.

Michele,

I live in Myrtle Beach and dive with Express in Murrells Inlet, when I get a chance to dive. Excellent operation and with a new dive boat (haven't had a chance to get a ride!) right across the street.

As McKee noted, viz varies widely and can be a low as 3 ft. It was les than 6ft on my OW dives last year, but I still enjoyed the dives to the tugboat at 11 mile reef. If you're uncomfortable with low viz you might have to sit out the dives, and usually the viz isn't known until the DM hits the water to tie up the boat.

There are several sites that are excellent for us beginning divers, artificial reefs with lots of fish and schools of barracuda. Check out their website for info on the sites. Tell Jennifer or Jonthan that your a new diver and they'll fix you up.

Did the Coastal Scuba dive this morning...we went to baracuda alley. This was a two tank dive 11 miles out to sea. Waves were 4 -6, vis was 15 -20, and current/surge wasn't too bad.

DM had a clear dive plan and good explanation of what we were diving on as far as how to navigate it. All divers' air was checked and double checked by DM and captian. Their boat does need some TLC....but who goes diving for the boat anyway? Overall, a good dive operation and dive site.

P.S. The blue cheese burger at the restaurant next to dock is stupid good.

Hey pdyer, I'm dropped my gear off at expresswatersports to day for anual check up...I'm diving with them this weekend...are ya'll going to be on the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom