***South Florida Dive Shops Beware*** Bad Check Writer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
I guess it's time to stop accepting checks!
My retail stores (non-SCUBA - gift and souvenir shops) haven't accepted checks in 10 years. Except Traveler's Checks - which are rarely used anymore either.

Most people (consumers) have a credit or debit card. The 2% (average "discount rate") fee or 3.25% for amex is well worth the protection to the merchant IMHO. We have yet to lose a single dispute attempt since we check ID on ALL CC purchases, nor have we accepted a stolen credit card either - since if the name on the ID doesn't match the name on the card - we don't make the sale). Also we swipe the card and/or imprint the card as necessary (if it doesn't swipe properly - which is standard policy for all major CC's).

Even smaller operations or dive boats without physical offices can accept CC's these days, with cell phone technology and/or internet processing (via WWAN). Again, the fees are minimal compared to 1 bad check which is usually a total loss.

I hope this guy shows up with a lawyer and tries to sue someone, he would then have to face criminal charges by the state and civil charges up to triple the amount of the checks. (FS.68.065) I have a strong feeling he's not going to show up in court anytime soon. There are other cases against this guy in Palm Beach and Dade counties and in Michigan.

assuming you are telling the truth (and i believe you are) then there's no problem

but what if you are not who you say you are, and are spreading lies about this guy?

again, i don't believe that is the case, but from a legal perspective, there are issues here that are best avoided by an internet publisher such as ScubaBoard

Aquatic Ventures:
They've done their due diligence

and by doing that, they have now become potentially liable whereas before they were not, because an internet publisher has no duty to do due diligence, but if they undertake to do it, they have now assumed that duty

but anyway, it's done ... so ... just for future reference

we can go back to you getting this guy

WOW! All that legalize talk makes you not want to post anything (i.e. opinions, advise, etc.)

motorcitydiver:
WOW! All that legalize talk makes you not want to post anything (i.e. opinions, advise, etc.)

you're not the owner of an internet forum, so you don't have to worry about it

but if you're an owner, then yes, you have to consider the legal implications of your actions

you're taking the opposite approach, which is throwing up your hands and giving up. i'm certainly not advocating that

(and i think you mean legalese)

I appreciate the NetDoc has taken both the effort and the risk involved in moderating the board. He has not allowed unsubstantiated allegations to be posted, nor is he afraid to post them after verifying that there is a reasonable basis for the allegations.

It may not be the correct course of action when looking at it only from a legal risk point of view, but it sure looks like the morally correct thing to do.

Charlie99:
It may not be the correct course of action when looking at it only from a legal risk point of view, but it sure looks like the morally correct thing to do.
It won't be the first time I have been accused of moderating with a conscience. :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom