Southern Belize Needs Your Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new attempt at cruise tourism in southern Belize.

Placencia BTIA Rejects Mass Cruise Tourism in South

Placencia Peninsula, Stann Creek, 18 June, 2013 (Placencia BTIA) – The Placencia Chapter of the Belize Tourism Industry Association condemns in the strongest terms Government’s willingness to accept mass cruise tourism in southern Belize. We find it inexplicable that Cabinet could reject Norwegian Cruise Line’s proposal for a cruise port at Crawl Caye yet simultaneously encourage the company to find an alternate site, in this case Harvest Caye.
Although Harvest Caye does not lie within a marine protected area, the same negative environmental impacts resulting from excessive visitor pressure remain. Likewise, despite the Prime Minister’s statements that traffic at the Belize City cruise port would not be diminished, the inevitable result of a southern alternative would be the eventual migration of ships away from the old capital.
Most importantly, however, the development of a large cruise port in the south inexorably commits the area to an economic future based on mass cruise tourism. This type of mass tourism is 180 degrees opposite from the path of low impact overnight tourism that has brought the Placencia Peninsula so much success and promises to provide even greater opportunities in the future.
We take great issue with claims that any particular segment of our community supports the kind of mass cruise tourism being proposed by NCL, be they tour guides, hoteliers or the population as a whole. Whether you cite the Seatone Report, National Sustainable Tourism Master Plan, Peninsula 2020 survey or the advice of virtually every independent expert asked to study the issue, the consensus is absolutely clear that Peninsula residents have no desire to see the unique authenticity of our community be destroyed by the introduction of mass cruise tourism.
The fact is that the campaign to inflict mass cruise tourism on southern Belize does not have its origins in any part of the South; it is simply part of a long running effort by one government official and a small group of associates whose motives have nothing to do with developing our community and everything to do with enriching themselves.
We note with increasing disappointment the failure of the Ministry of Tourism to come forward with its position on this issue. Having spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayers dollars on independent studies and successfully convinced Cabinet to endorse a Sustainable Master Plan that clearly prohibits mass cruise tourism in the South, the Minister and CEO are suddenly missing in action. We can understand that ministers are busy and cannot read every lengthy document introduced for endorsement by cabinet, but surely the Minister of Tourism and the CEO have read their own policy…or have they? Mr. Heredia and Mrs. Panton, your silence is deafening.
The Placencia BTIA remains steadfastly opposed to the introduction of mass cruise tourism to southern Belize and will continue to be at the forefront of broad based opposition to what would amount to nothing less than a national disaster. Moreover, we urge Government to bring all segments of the tourism industry together to articulate a sensible policy toward cruise tourism and at the same time bring all elements of southern Belize together to develop policies and programs that will promote the economic, social and environmental well being of this richly endowed area of our country.
Signed unanimously by Board of Directors.
For more information contact Stewart Krohn, Chairman, Placencia BTIA, 610-1009, stewart@cocoplumbelize.net

Harvest Caye is pretty near Big Creek, already a big shipping port.
As much as I like to see Belize stay pristine environmentally, we do sorely need economic development. Our kids need jobs in the future. Tourism seems to be our best hope for that.

Harvest Caye is pretty near Big Creek, already a big shipping port.
As much as I like to see Belize stay pristine environmentally, we do sorely need economic development. Our kids need jobs in the future. Tourism seems to be our best hope for that.

Yes Hank, tourism seems to be the future. There was a study done a few years ago by a French University that looked at the impact of cruise tourism on overnight tourism in the Caribbean. The conclusion was that in almost every case, the country lost more revenue from overnight tourism than they gained from cruise tourism. That study suggests that the best way forward for future jobs is overnight tourism and that has better prospects if cruise tourism does not come to prime overnight tourism areas. The report is 23 pages long so, too long to post on ScubaBoard. Anyone who wants a copy can e-mail me at ralph@splashbelize.com and I will forward a copy.
Regards
Ralph

Yes Hank, tourism seems to be the future. There was a study done a few years ago by a French University that looked at the impact of cruise tourism on overnight tourism in the Caribbean. The conclusion was that in almost every case, the country lost more revenue from overnight tourism than they gained from cruise tourism. That study suggests that the best way forward for future jobs is overnight tourism and that has better prospects if cruise tourism does not come to prime overnight tourism areas. The report is 23 pages long so, too long to post on ScubaBoard. Anyone who wants a copy can e-mail me at ralph@splashbelize.com and I will forward a copy.
Regards
Ralph

Thanks for sending a copy of the paper.

I'm afraid it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

The paper is based on the assumption that cruise numbers do impact stay-over numbers, but it doesn’t present any evidence as to why that is the case. One can just as easily say world temperatures are rising because on CO2, but CO2 started to rise 50 years, yes 50 years, AFTER temperatures started to rise[1].

There is no mention of aviation fuel price rises or the impact from 9/11, both affected air travel numbers. So its not surprising cruise numbers have increased. Again no reference to the aging population and whether older travellers find getting on/off planes too difficult. The paper does acknowledge the longer the cruise times are from Florida the more stay-over flow there is.

1. Open University, (1990), Oceanography, S330, Milton Keynes: UK.

---

Doesn't mean I agree with the proposal. I've seen the damage (off Laughing Caye) from cruise line's anchors dropped so their 'guests' can go snorkeling.

It took me a few days to get to responding to Edward3c's posting as I have been away at a trade show and short break to Canada. However, I think the paper does have validity.
Edward3 c says
I'm afraid it doesn't stand up to scrutiny I think Edward's arguments are a bit of an arm wave.
He says
The paper is based on the assumption that cruise numbers do impact stay-over numbers, but it doesn’t present any evidence as to why that is the case. One can just as easily say world temperatures are rising because on CO2, but CO2 started to rise 50 years, yes 50 years, AFTER temperatures started to rise[1].j
Rather than start with an assumption, I think the paper studies the issue of impact of cruise vs overnight tourism and when it finds a correlation, concludes that cruise tourism has an effect of crowding out overnight tourism.

Edward says There is no mention of aviation fuel price rises or the impact from 9/11, both affected air travel numbers. So its not surprising cruise numbers have increased. Again no reference to the aging population and whether older travellers find getting on/off planes too difficult. The price of crude oil is shown below (I used Brent as Edward appears to live closer to that oilfield than other ones that that display similar pricing history). Please note that the vast majority of price increases occurred after the study period 1985 to 2004. Also note that almost 80% of the study period was pre 9/11. While I personally consider the "aging population difficulty with planes" a grasping at straws argument having just returned from a trade show in the US and seeing lots of people being helped onto and off of planes with wheel chairs, I note that the study says that cruise also negatively effects overnight tourism duration - as as they are already there, shorter stays presumably would not be more affected by fuel prices, 9-11 and age of customers.

Regards
Ralph Capeling

oil_brent_weekly_alldata566.png

Or this, speaker is an aquaintance of mine, so was surprised to see her, but not surprised by her position and experience: Cruise Tourism in Roatan, Honduras - YouTube

My hope is that the viewers of the above video will grasp that Sandra is in Placencia as she speaks and that she has years of experiencing staying/diving in both Placencia and Roatan. Her most poignant warning to my mind comes near the end.

Toledo District, which is very underdeveloped for tourism at this time and could really benefit for some development has also come out against large scale cruise tourism.

WE SAY “NO”! BTIA Toledo Chapter stands firmly against Norwegian Cruise Lines Proposal
Many organisations and individuals have already expressed their opposition to the development of Crawl Caye as a cruise port and the introduction of large-scale cruise ship tourism in southern Belize. The BTIA Toledo Chapter joins them in rejecting any introduction of large-scale cruise tourism in southern Belize, following the Government’s rejection of Crawl Caye on environmental grounds and their stated support of NCL’s request to seek an alternative site in southern waters.
Tourists visit Belize to see our natural wonders – inland and offshore – and our tourism industry is dependent on conserving our natural resources. Toledo is a prime example of responsible tourism in action and we pride ourselves on employing responsible tourism practices – protecting the environment, preserving local culture, and benefitting the local communities.
Development invariably comes at a cost, and Toledo is not prepared to pay the price associated with the mainstream cruise industry. Our sites have limited capacity and our infrastructure in general is completely unequipped to deal with the volume of visitors that cruise ships would bring. Our way of life and traditional values would be threatened. Toledo has worked long and hard to establish its reputation as a prime ecotourism destination and mass tourism would jeopardise our overnight tourism industry.
There are many studies and statistics available which suggest that cruise lines do not provide the long-term economic benefits that overnight tourism does, many reports regarding pollution from cruise ships and the negative impacts on local communities. The disadvantages of large-scale cruise tourism led the BTB to reject any such proposition for southern Belize in their Sustainable Master Tourism Plan, specifically stating that“pocket cruise tourism [less than 300 passengers]" is the only acceptable form of cruise tourism in South Eastern Coast Belize and only in areas of new development in the northern portion of this section of the Belize coast.”
BTIA Toledo Chapter stands firmly in support of the BTB’s policy as stated in the Master Plan. Norwegian Cruise Line’s proposal to develop a port in southern Belize runs counter to that policy. We urge the Cabinet and Minister of Tourism to honour the BTB’s conclusion in the Sustainable Master Tourism Plan, itself the result of advice from industry experts and extensive public consultation, and to recognise the damage large-scale cruise ship tourism would bring to the Toledo District.
The Father of the Nation, the Right Honourable George Price, was often said to oppose tourism development because he did not want Belize to become “a nation of waiters”. If we are to ignore a national hero and instead look to the US to provide economic answers for us, then let us look to President Theodore Roosevelt, and remember his words:
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”
For more information please contact Dilma Cano at the BTIA Toledo Chapter office in Punta Gorda Town, at 722-2531 or email btiatoledo@btl.net.

The Toledo District is the poorest one in Belize so it's good to see that even BITA Toledo Chapter has the cojones to just say no to the Norwegian Cruise Lines Proposal. Even "pocket cruises" of less than 300 passengers would have a negative impact on Punta Gorda and the surrounding area.

I have an open mind on this at present, as when I was in Placencia recently I met "old timer" tourism professionals who were in favour of small cruise ships, properly managed.

Back
Top Bottom