Soviet versions of Luigi Ferraro's Pinocchio mask and Caravelle fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Wilson

Contributor
Reaction score
1LuigiFerraro_0.preview.jpg

Luigi Ferraro was a diving pioneer in wartime and a prolific inventor in peacetime. You can read about his contributions to the postwar development of diving equipment on the website dedicated to his life at Welcome to Luigi Ferraro's official site | Luigi Ferraro. His picture above shows him wearing one of his designs, the Pinocchio mask, which anticipated the low-volume diving masks of today and has been in continuous production at Cressi from its prototype in 1952 to the present. Over the years the mask has assumed something of a cult status.
9Caravelle%20Compl.preview.jpg

10Caravelle%20Smon.preview.jpg

Another of Ferraro's inventions was the Caravelle fin, which he designed for another Italian company, Technisub, in 1963. The Caravelle is often regarded as a technological success but a commercial failure, because it combined a detachable plastic blade with a rubber full-foot pocket, anticipating the introduction of composite fins by another Italian company, Mares, more than a decade later, but it did not sell well among the diving community of the early 1960s. You can read more about these two inventions on the Luigi Ferraro website at Inventor and Entrepreneur | Luigi Ferraro, which is a treasure-trove of information about this Italian innovator.

I have recently been exploring the Russian equivalent of the eBay auction site, Avito, which is a "must" for anybody interested in the history of Soviet diving equipment. While searching Avito, I was amazed to discover later Soviet versions of Luigi Ferraro's Pinocchio mask and Caravelle fins. The Soviet equivalent of the Pinocchio mask was made in the "Mosrezina" factory in Moscow in the early 1970s:
2353560942.jpg

2353561114.jpg

This mask was given the name "Buratino" (Буратино), which is the main character in a book written by Aleksey Nikolayevich Tolstoy (not Leo Tolstoy, author of "War and Peace"), who "had read Pinocchio as a child, but, having lost the book, (...) started re-imagining it many years later in an attempt to come up with a series of bedside stories for his own children." Read more at Buratino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. You can see the mask auction page for yourself at Маска для подводного плавания СССР.

During the same search, I found out about a Soviet version of Ferrraro's Caravelle fins:
2797717250.jpg

According to the auction page at Маска и Ласты для подводного плавания 1973г. СССР, the fins date from 1973, so roughly contemporaneous with the Buratino mask. The unnamed fins were made in the "Sport" Experimental Factory in Leningrad. A second pair of these fins appeared on another Avito page at Набор для плавания подростковый:
2787069320.jpg

2787069670.jpg

In both cases, the detachable plastic blade resembles its Caravelle counterpart, including the number of ribs, although the second model has a closed toe foot pocket, unlike the Caravelle.

It's interesting that Soviet diving equipment developers were aware of Ferraro's designs in the early 1970s and went as far as to manufacture similar products for swimmers and divers in the USSR. Note too how the above picture shows the price (3 roubles, 50 kopecks) moulded on to the sole, signalling the absence of price fluctuations in Soviet times!

Last edited:
When I was in the USAF in Okinawa/Korea in 1968-69, I bought a pair of Caravelle fins. They were the first pair that I modified into my "scoop fin" design. I tested them in Okinawa waters, and they worked very well. I still have them in my fin collection. I'll see if I can get a photo of them for posting here.

SeaRat

David,

Here are the photos I promised a few days ago of the Caravelle fins that I modified in 1968 to the scoop fin design. Basically, I took them to the USAF machine shop, and had them make an aluminum "U" for the fin blades. I then cut out the fin material, and replaced it with rubber from an inner tube.

I used them on snorkeling trips to the reefs around Naha, Okinawa in 1968. I was at that time assigned as a Pararescueman to the 33rd Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron. I did this swim fin experimentation, and these are the first ones I actually made and used. By the way, those are some of the nicest reefs in the world for diving and snorkeling. I found that the removable blade was not too useful, as they were hard to remove in the water, and equally hard to replace. The ribs of the blade were long, and you needed to wiggle them just right to get them to either attach or detach; it was not an easy process. This may explain why they were not more successful and only made for a short time.

These still work, but one has a tear on the bottom of the fin pocket and so I hesitate to take it into the water anymore.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0867.jpg