Spanish Rocks on the 25th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

those claws looked tasty. what's the proper way to get them off the crab? is there a special trick that works better than just yanking them off? i'm a complete noob when it comes to crabbing so if you could spare some pointers i'd appreciate it.

First of all:
Smashing crab over the head with rock or stabing w/ knife is not allowed.:lotsalove:

What I've been told and practice is:
After you get the little bugger out of their hole.
Hold body and the claw you're not taking. (I know you can take both:no:)
Hold tight like gripping on a large pipe, with your other hand hold the claw w/ your thumb between 1st and 2nd knuckle. They have limits on where they can pinch and will try.
Twist claw under the bottom of the crab. This puts pressure on the joint. The crab doesn't like this! Generally the crab will release the claw to get away. If they don't, snap hard all in one motion.
Practice makes perfect. Enjoy

Always learning myself. Post a reply if different.

I have found that when twisting the claw down and underneath, to keep it tight to the body of the crab so it doesnt "tear" in the wrong place. If you "tear" the claw off you kill the crab and he wont be there next year. You will be able to tell right away if the crab has been killed.
In my experience it seems only the small crab will release their claws easily.
I also take both claws (as long as they are large enough) and place the crab back into his hole for protection.

I'll be diving Spanish Rocks Thursday afternoon and possibly a twilight dive. I'm sure vis will be terrible, but I have some business to take care of in Bradenton in the AM so I may as well make the most of the trip.
I also want to speak with a lifeguard about diving off Coquina Beach. I know there are some large piles of light poles and bridge pilings in about 15 FSW right off the beach. Maybe 200 yards out. Anyone know if there are any restrictions diving from that beach?
Anyone ever dive Third Pier? I saw a LDS scuba class there a few weeks ago.

During training my instructor was going to take me out to Third Pier, if conditions were bad at Service Club.

I heard that there are some ledges and stuff to see but never been.

Any idea of the water temp.? (Still looking for a wetsuit)

I dove third pier last june. Firstly, you must stay north of the pier, or you'll be visited by the lifeguards. Secondly the ledge is in only about 8 fsw, with about a 8-12" profile and little growth on it and not many fish. I wouldn't waste my time or air diving it again. If you feel the need to check it out...snorkel it.

I expect air temp to be about 70° water about 75°.
I looked at Third Pier on Google Maps satellite images, virtually nothing there.
The other area I mentioned is called Near Shore Reef on the Manatee artificial reef website.
The coordinates are 27 26.980, -82 41.820 you can actually see the piles and several boats anchored on this site if you zoom all the way in on Google Maps satellite images.
I've actually dived this site from my boat but not from shore. Lots of fish, but no natural rock or corals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom