Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nostromo:
The answer is simple, don't hold your breath on ascent.
This is IMO dangerous advice. I cannot advocate scuba diving (which is exactly what this is) with no training whatsoever.

Don't buy the Spare Air.

jonnythan:
This is IMO dangerous advice. I cannot advocate scuba diving (which is exactly what this is) with no training whatsoever.

Don't buy the Spare Air.
Exactly, do so against all this advice and I'd put money on us all reading about you in an incident training bulletin.

Nuff said!

My above answer, while being technically correct, should in no way be used as a replacement for proper scuba instruction. I think I just dodged a lawsuit...

jonnythan:

Don't buy the Spare Air.

Nostromo:
My above answer, while being technically correct, should in no way be used as a replacement for proper scuba instruction. I think I just dodged a lawsuit...
:wink:

I understand what you meant, and that is partly "the answer," but one could read the post as "this is all you need to do" and I just wanted to make clear that it shouldn't be taken that way.

grouper_getter:
I am not certified to dive but was wondering if i could use a product like spare air or the H2ODYSSEY Extra Air Source to lengthen the time i can "freedie". How easy is this product to use and refill?

Spare air is the greatest Gimick waste of money in the scuba industry.

breathing compressed air while freedive is above all things STUPID. VERY VERY STUPID.

can I have your gear when you die?

STUPID.

While I agree that people without any training shouldn't use scuba gear (which as mentioned above Spare Air is) I have to say I don't see the problem with trained people crossing the boundary between scuba diving and free diving. On a number of occasions I've been free diving with scuba diving friends and thought nothing of "asking" for a breath of air and continuing on my way. While some would say this is a dangerous practice, I really don't see the problem. Part of my mindset probably comes from my father who (in the sixties) used to do the same thing, but would buddy breathe (back when it meant exactly that) down to a hundred feet or so and then slowly ascend back up bubbling as he went. No big deal.

Amphibious:
Spare air is the greatest Gimick waste of money in the scuba industry.

breathing compressed air while freedive is above all things STUPID. VERY VERY STUPID.

can I have your gear when you die?

STUPID.

yup. and the first time you forget to exhale you die. very stupid.

Besides how do you get it filled? From a paintball tank?

If you show up with that and that alone at a dive shop they should smell a rat.

Pete

Stupid is as stupid does. In this instance "forgetting" to exhale on ascent. Lots of things are inherently dangerous, it's just a question of having the presence of mind to mitigate a given amount of risk. Just like so many other things in life.

Amphibious:
yup. and the first time you forget to exhale you die. very stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom